reflex

Hours later I've completely forgotten about my dissapointment, hunched completely over laughing at some amazing pun Harry has made when I decide we should head back home.

"I can drive if you want."

"No you dont have to do that," he says, trying to stick to rules.

"I want to stay awake, I'll fall asleep on the drive back."

"Okay, I'll let you drive, then," he says, the sweetest smile taking over his face. I know exactly what he's hoping for.

"No, not tonight. Not until our day. We've been over this, its just like what you were saying, you're not ready."

"Can't a boy dream?"

I think of what he could've meant by that, and cringe when the dark side of my sense of humor catches up. "Harry!! Not okay!" I tease, knowing he means the worst.

"You and your dirty mind, I'm surprised you aren't ripping your clothes off right now," not even glancing at him, I can feel the energy of a smirk on his face.

"Well, if you haven't noticed, I'm driving, also I swear if you mention it one more time you can walk home."

"You can't do that to me!"

"I most definitely can, we have no real ties, no ring to prove connection..."

"Hypocrite."

"But I'm your hypocrite," I respond to lighten the mood, and turn to send him a smile.

"Ca-!"

+++

I closed my eyes when he screamed my name, all I saw when my eyes had to open only to shut again were flashes of broken glass, torn fabric, and ultra bright light from any given direction. It was either space quiet or radio static. And then I heard him, yelling for help as loud as he could, sobbing as his head rested on my stomach. I gave up after countless attempts when my my mouth didn't listen to my mind, just to give him a whisper of his name, let him know I had oxygen in my lungs.

"This should've been me! I should be where you are!"

No, my dear Harry, you shouldn't.