persuasion

I sit in my seat in the waiting room now. I've been in it for so long it may as well have my name engraved in the armrests. They might even let me take it home.

The ICU supervisor is speaking with Cams parents, purposely out of earshot. From the glimpses I get of their faces, it's hard for them to convince the nurse that I should be permitted.

She raises her voice just enough for me to make out her words. "She still has your last name, not his. It's against the rules."

Ken does not agree. "So help me God, let my soon-to-be son-in-law see the love of his fucking life, or I'll transfer her to a different hospital."

Adeline has been silent, but from the looks of it she's about to lose it. She finally speaks a quiet thank you as the nurse goes back to her office in the median of the hall and her and Ken sit down.

She decides to tell me I can finally put her hand in mine.

"You got her to let me in?!"

"It was difficult, she's stubborn and plays by the rules, but we got her to comply."

"You have no idea how much this means to me, thank you so much, Adeline."

"Call me mom from now on." She smirks, letting me know she knows I'm staying. There's no way I could leave.

+++

"God, baby, I've missed you so much." I have no idea if she can hear me, but Forman's concepts have my hopes up. Her hand lays on top of mine, cold as they've always been. There are tubes and wires connected to too many parts of her. I know that even with her tolerance of needles, she'd hate seeing this, but knowing she's being treated would help her resist the urge to rip every one out.

As much as I want her to, I know she won't wake up while I'm here. Or even today. I like to think that I'd know if she was ready. I don't think I will though. She's deciding.

But sometimes I think about if she's already chosen to be gone.

__________________________
a/n

IM SO SORRY PLS 4GIVE ME IM HORRIBLE AT KEEPING UP W THIS

okay but like SAFETY PIN AND INVISIBLE AND PERMANENT VACATION WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT #SGFG