connected

I see Ken and Adeline walk through the automatic doors and I jump out of my seat to greet them.

"Is she okay?" Is the first thing Adeline, her mother, says to me.

"I don't know, Mrs. Stone. I only got here an hour ago and no one's allowed to see her yet, but I believe you can ask the receptionist."

"Thank you, Harry."

Luckily I've known Cam's parents since our third date, normally if someone's daughter was in a wreck her parents would be fuming if her boyfriend didn't call.

"How are you? I know this isn't about you, but I know that the person that was with the victim is seldom acknowledged," her father asks me.

"I'm disoriented, confused. She taught me to make sure I know all the details before going into something, and not knowing how she is, it's throwing me off."

"She gets into your head doesn't she?," he jokes, making me laugh for the first time today. "Do you miss her?"

"Do I miss her?" T's hardly even a question. I have no idea what state she's in, physically or mentally and it's driving me up a wall! I hate not knowing if she's okay. I could usually tell when something was up and now she's in a room that I don't have a key to, and I- I don't know how to- I don't know what to- I just don't know!" I begin to cry into Ken's shoulder, and I don't want to do this him. I don't want to be so vulnerable in front of him.

But if he's going to be my father-in-law, I need to trust him. I guess this is how people in mourning show trust.

Mourning: the expression of deep sorrow for someone who has died, typically involving following certain conventions such as wearing black clothes.

That is not a word that I should have used. Cam is still breathing, there is still blood pumping through her veins.

Said you'd always be my white blood. White blood cells are a part of the immune system. They keep out and fight foreign particles, protecting the body and the body's health. I should've taken the wheel.

I'm her white blood, I'm her protecter, I'm her guard dog. And even though I'm what feels like miles away, I will never leave her side.

___________________

a/n. anybody listen to oh wonder? probs not haha #indiechick

anyway, how you likin' it?? tbh I didn't think this would happen haha im just kinda writing whatever I think sounds good.

hope you had a good first week of school and if you're still livin the summer life, lucky you.