assurance

Nonononono this can't be happening.

"Sir, she will be fine, but her injuries are very bad. She needs more intense treatment. The ICU is the best place for her. She won't need to be in there long, but she has better access to what will help her recover more quickly." The nurses words are almost completely drowned out by the panic in my head, but I know what she's saying is true.

"Thank you, ma'am."

"No problem. She won't be allowed to have visitors for maybe a couple days, and we have restricted hours once she's permitted. I think you should go home soon, get some good rest."

"Again, thanks. But I think I'll just stay here and calm down for a little while longer."

"That's perfectly fine. Have a good night."

I'll try.

"Oh, I found the letter you were writing in her room, and I picked it up for you," she says, holding it out for me to take.

"Thankful is so underestimated for how I feel." She smiles and turns to walk away. These nurses are so great at their job.

+++

"Hey, kid." There's a hand on my shoulder and a familiar but undetected voice waking toward me. I open my eyes and turn to see Brandy sitting next to me.

"I'm no kid."

"You're sure acting like one."

"Watch it, or you'll be a patient instead of an employee."

"Ooh, good one. But I didn't come here to bicker. How you holding up?"

"I'm still kind of processing, ya know. It's a lot to take in."

"I do. When my dad was in the hospital I remember it not feeling real. But him being in that bed is why I have this badge. I sat at the edge of his bed and I felt so useless compared to all the nurses and how helpful they were. They were such good people even when they weren't checking pulses and bringing him food. That's what keeps me going when I'm here until three in the morning."

"Knowing that there's people like you taking care of my girl makes this so much easier."

"I'm not just here for the money. Like I said, I'm here to help people like yourself get through some really stressful times."

"Can I hug you?" I ask, needing comfort on the worst night of my life.

"Of course, Harry. Come here."

I didn't intend to, but I let it all out with my head on her shoulder, soaking her scrubs until her phone rang, removing the heat from my face.

"I'm so sorry, Harry. Um, go home, get some sleep. These chairs get really uncomfortable after too long.

As she went to run her errand, I walked to my car and and tried my absolute hardest to wait until I unlocked the door to our empty home to spill tears I didn't know I still had to shed.