Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Julian)

 I really didn't want to go to school with all of this shit racing around in my head, but parents seemed to think that your personal life can't mess with your education.

What a load of bullshit.

I wanted to stay home and just sleep for the rest of forever, but it wouldn't be possible. I even had trouble sleeping because Daimonas kept waking me up with visions. Adam looked refreshed and in a surprisingly good mood, though, so I didn't really talk much to avoid sounding like a jackass.

"We have band practice tonight," Adam told me as he leaned against the locker beside mine as I got out my thermos for lunch, "Seth and Kipp agreed we could do it at Seth's house since his parents are gonna be gone on a business vacation thing, so we get the house to ourselves." I frowned at that, closing my locker and giving Adam an uneasy stare.

"Do they really wanna do this?" I asked. Adam frowned at that, pushing off the locker and turning to face me fully. He reached out, brushing his fingers by my cheek before tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"It's all right, Julian. Seth's the one who suggested it anyway." He added, probably trying to make me feel better, but that only made me grimace.

"That sounds safe." I muttered, referring to the fact that the other day Seth tried to trick me into biting him, which failed miserably. I hoped he wouldn't try playing his guitar with bloody hands just to tease me again. I might actually be tempted to just bite his arm off and get it over with so he'd get a new hobby. Vampire hunters were the last thing I wanted to deal with right now.

"Julian! Adam!" I frowned, looking up as Katie, the student council president, came toward us. I blinked and Adam and I shared confused looks. We were pretty much the deliquents of the school and Katie was Miss. Perfect in Every Way. Why would she want to associate herself with us?

She wasn't exactly mean. In fact, she was pretty nice. She was your stereotypical girl next door, auburn hair pulled up into a ponytail, glittery blue eyeshadow over bright green eyes to match her sweater and blue jeans.

"Can I ask you guys for a super huge favor?" She asked as she drew near. I frowned, but said nothing. Adam raised an eyebrow at her, folding his arms over his chest. Katie, being a little oblivious, didn't seem to notice our defensive behavior and took that as her chance to continue as she clasped her hands together tightly in prayer.

"The Winter Ball is coming up this weekend and I was put in charge of finding a band to play at the fling, but I can't find anyone who's willing to play at a high school dance and I heard you guys have a band and yeah, so is it okay... if I book you guys? You'll be paid, of course!" She added brightly as if that made it all better.

Personally, I liked the idea. It was an actual gig that might get us noticed a little more. People from other schools were coming to this dance and they'd go back and tell everyone about us. I looked up at Adam eagerly to see him considering her offer.

"Tell you what," Adam said at last, making Katie perk up hopefully, "I'll have to check with our other two members. I'll get back to you by the end of the day."

"Oh, thank you so much! You guys are life savers!" Katie cheered, then caught me by the shoulder, placing a kiss on my cheek, then one on Adam's before she took off down the hallway in a flurry of excitement. I watched her leave, scrunching up my nose, then yelping as Adam took a hold of my face, rubbing his sleeve on my cheek.

"What the heck?" I complained as he wiped my cheek so hard it burned once he pulled away, shaking his sleeve off.

"That's my cheek." Adam told me nonchalantly. A thrill rushed through me at that and I smiled, glancing up at him before we headed for the cafeteria. Even from down the hallway, I could hear what sounded like a huge commotion. Adam's lips worked into a frown as he looked at me and I shrugged, holding up my hands in defense. I had nothing to do with this. We pushed open the doors to find a few guys standing around Walter, who was sitting hunched over his paper bag lunch.