Epilogue

Epilogue (Julian)

Nothing was worse than going to your mother's funeral the day after your birthday.

A thousand things ran through my mind at once as I stared at the closed black casket that was lowering into the ground to spend eternity at rest. The dark soil that flew into the hole, then slid down the sides of the sleek black paint.

I felt hollow inside, watching them throw dirt on the tiny box that was holding my mother. She didn't move, didn't breath, didn't live. Not anymore. Amber and Alex kept trying to comfort me by saying she'd be reincarnated some day or that she'd reside in Summerland until the time was right for her to return, but none of it made me feel better. In fact, I was starting to lose faith in the Goddess and everything She stood for. How could she let this kind of thing happen?

My mother was amazing. Oh yeah, she was strict and she could be downright cruel sometimes, but she was building us up for something greater. She got through life being the way she was. She happily got married and had three children, a wonderful job, a beautiful home, dozens of friends that would do anything for her. She was my mother. She was the woman who put up with all my whining and complaining and crying.

And now she was gone.

And it was because of Zephyra.

Thinking their name made my blood boil, but I managed to keep my expression stoic as I stared at the hole in the ground that was steadily filling with dirt until the entire thing was filled and the casket was out of view.

I finally managed to tear my eyes away to look at the large, elaborate headstone my family had purchased for her. A large engraving of a pentagram was settled at the center, a small picture of her in the middle. Underneath were the words:

Here lies Vanessa Marie Grey. Beloved wife, mother, and friend. May we meet again someday. Merry meet, and merry part.

I glanced out the corner of my eye at my father, who stood as silent as his wife's grave, eyes glistening, but no tears falling. He wore an expensive black suit, his hair a bit of a mess, his glasses sitting on top of his head. Beside him was Amber, standing in a black snug dress that was quite plain considering her usual style. Mary-Kay stood beside her, holding her hand tightly, wearing a short black, pleated dress.

Vladimir and Alex were next, both in black suits, both grim faced. I couldn't pinpoint how Alex even felt about this whole thing. He cried when we met up at the church, but since then, he'd kept pretty calm about the whole thing. I knew he and mom didn't get along all that well, but I knew mom loved him as much as she loved Amber and I. Vladimir was pretty calm too, but I could actually tell he was sad about the whole thing. Again I wanted to ask where they were when everyone else was dying left and right, but I had a feeling I wouldn't like the answer and the last thing I needed to do now was lose my brother.

Adam stood beside me, wearing the suit my mom had bought for him for the winter ball. His expression was blank, but he was squeezing my hand tightly, letting me know that he was just as heartbroken over this as I was. My mother was the only person who treated him like a son, even if they didn't get along all the time.

On my other side were Seth and Kipp, both quiet and wearing the only cheap black suits that could afford as they stood near me like bodyguards. Seth looked like he wanted blood for whoever did this and I appreciated that more than he knew. Kipp was oozing sympathy. He'd lost his own mother too, and I had been there for him when it happened, so he was going to do the same.

Surprisingly, Walter was there too, standing behind me to look over my shoulder at the grave. He wore a jacket over his suit to fight the cold. He looked upset and confused, even after Adam and I had tried to relay the story to him. I don't know why I felt the need to tell Walter about everything, but something told me that someday, Walter would be a very good ally to have.