Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Julian)

The gymnasium had been designed to look exactly like a winter wonderland.

We arrived at the school six o clock on the dot. Following the smell of perfume, paint, and glue, we found ourselves standing at the double doors to the gym. White, glitter sprayed snowflakes hung from the ceiling, huge walls of winter scenery were pressed up against the walls, the snack table was sprayed white with crystal bowls of blue punch and other snacks, along with a huge ice sculpture of Jack Frost.

Oh yeah, these guys were going all out.

Was this even within the school's budget?

"Glad you guys could make it!" Katie's voice made me turn my head to see her skipping up to me. She was holding a few limp blue and white balloons, her hair fashionably done. Curly, glitter sprayed locks piled onto her head in some intricate bun with a thin diamond tiara holding it out of her face.

"Wow." I admitted. Katie blushed, smiling sheepishly as she ran her finger over her lower lip before tilting her head cutely.

"Thanks! My mom did for me before she left for work. Isn't it awesome?" She gushed.

"Totally." Kipp murmured in awe from behind Adam and I. Katie's cheeks turned a brighter pink and she accepted the compliment with grace, doing a little curtsey before she smiled, gesturing to the gym.

"What'd you guys think? Does it look like a winter wonderland?" She asked, turning back to us.

"Like Jack Frost came here and puked it up himself." Seth replied dryly.

"It's awesome, Katie." I corrected, elbowing Seth in the ribs and making him wince. Katie beamed anyway, clasping her hands excitedly before she seemed to notice Lysander and Claude behind us, her smile fading for a moment before coming back at full strength.

"And who're your friends?" She asked, reaching up to brush a curl behind her ear. I blinked, then gestured to Lysander and Claude. Lysander had been forced to change into a pair of Alexander's clothes, so instead of his tight black skimp, he now wore loose blue jeans and a matching button up shirt. Claude changed out of his suit and into a low cut elbow-length black shirt and black skinny jeans, his eyes narrowed as he looked around in disinterest.

"Ah, Katie, these are my cousins visiting from... somewhere. Claude and Lysander. I hope you don't mind, but you did say you needed people to help out." I pointed out. Katie blinked, snapping out of her daze before beaming.

"Of course! Thank you so much for helping out! We need as much help as we can get," She agreed, then turned to Adam and I, "So do you guys have all your gear? We pulled the stage out and we're still decorating some of it, but now that you guys are here, you can help with that since it's gonna be your space for the rest of the night." Adam nodded and we excused ourselves, heading out to Lysander's black pedo van to get our instruments.

"It's not a pedo van," Lysander scowled as Adam opened up the back, reaching in to take out his guitar, "I just really like my privacy. It's more like... the love shack on wheels."

"There are things I don't want to know about my family," I deadpanned, staring at him, "And that was one of them." Lysander waved me off, standing nearby and not lifting a finger to help us as we took our cases out.

"Speaking of love shack, what happened to your Cajun boy?" He asked, searching the parking lot before turning to me. I shrugged, frowning as I carefully lifted the case with my keyboard out of the van.

"Dunno, he said he'd catch up with us later. Think you can handle the job without him?" I asked. Lysander smirked at me suggestively. Claude snorted as he shoved one of the cases at Kipp, almost knocking him off his feet if Lysander hadn't of caught him.