Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six (Julian)

It felt like this rehearsal was never going to end.

We stood there for what felt like two hours, and it was probably mostly my fault. They wanted me to remember everything and I couldn't even concentrate on it. Every time I forgot something, Wulf would smack me or insult me. The priest who was doing our wedding was forced to do this. I could tell by the way he stumbled and tripped over words at first, because he was scared.

They were threatening him into this too. I could tell he was stunned to see vampires in a church. He probably thought we'd burn up in the doorway or something cheesy, but what we didn't believe in didn't hurt us, so here we were, standing at the alter with a terrified priest.

Orion, Ikuto and Declan just sat around in the pews. Occasionally, Orion would get up to walk around, twirling a knife in his hands and peering out the windows. Ikuto fell asleep halfway through and Declan just kept on staring straight ahead like a robot. I couldn't tell what annoyed me more. Orion manhandling me or Declan doing nothing.

"Let's take a break," Wulf snapped at last, cutting the priest off, who nodded shakily, "Orion, go with the father to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." Orion sighed wistfully, but approached the priest anyway, taking him by the elbow.

"Come on, father, let's leave the happy couple alone." He told the trembling man, then dragged him off into the back of the church, slamming a door shut behind them. I watched them go, feeling sorry for the old guy. He was just an innocent church man that got dragged into this mess, and I had a feeling that Orion was going to kill him after the wedding to avoid word getting out about what they were planning anyway.

"You're going to love your dress," Wulf was saying when I tuned back in, "I had it especially tailored for you, so even the corset should fit. It'll be better than the first dress I put you in. Oh, I also bought you a new pair of shoes, fishnets, and a very interesting choker a friend of mine from New York highly recommended. It's quite expensive, mind you. Possibly over two grand for just your outfit alone, but it's nothing I'm not willing to pay." I said nothing to that, just grimaced and looked away.

Fantastic. I'll live the rest of my life as some kind of dress up doll and once he was finished, he'd probably stuff my corpse at the back of his closet and move onto someone else.

"I'm also going to be calling a friend of mine," Wulf went on, as if he really couldn't care less about my opinion, on anything, "He should be able to get us some fine blood to drink after. But we won't be staying in Detroit much longer."

"Huh?" I looked at him, feeling my stomach shrink. Wulf gave me a droll stare, then reached out and pinched my cheek hard enough to make it hurt.

"Don't say huh. It's impolite. Say what."

"What?"

"Very good."

"No, I mean, what do you mean we're not staying in Detroit?"

"I already told you," Wulf said impatiently, "We're taking the next flight back to New York. I don't want to stay in this state any longer than I have to. You Michiganians have this weird accent. It's like your caught between North and South." I scowled. What accent? I had never noticed it. I noticed Wulf's, but since when did I have my own? I only thought there was a Southern accent in the US. I had a feeling my teachers would be incredibly disappointed in me.

"That's not my fault," I answered heatedly, "And I don't want to go to New York. I like Michigan."

"And I don't. So we're going to New York."