Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty (Julian)

School was hellish for so many reasons.

It used to be the bullies that waited to trip me and beat me up. The teachers that sneered at me for not doing my homework. The homework. The work in general.

And now it was even worse. Apparently, word had gotten out that our band was playing at the winter dance and now everyone was swarming to talk to us and make requests. It didn't help that because of my relationship with Adam, girls were swooning. Not just for us as individuals, but because we were together.

Katie kept coming up to us between classes to remind us to arrive at the school earlier for set up, make sure we're dressed appropriately, and all that jazz. A few girls would pass by giggling and squealing about how Adam and I made the perfect gay couple. The gay alliance club tried to convince us to join so they'd get more publicity. The football team glared at us for stealing the school's attention away from them.

"I want to go home." I moaned in distress, ducking my head into my locker in an attempt to hide away from the world. Adam leaned on the locker next to mine, arms folded over his chest, his back pack at his feet.

"Just a few more hours. You can hold out." He answered. He was looking like his usual self again, which was actually kind of nice. He stood tall and proud, head held high and eyes watching everyone in the school like they were his enemies, a threat to our relationship, and a threat to me.

"I don't know," I grumbled, stepping back from my locker after grabbing my thermos, "The fact that a couple girls asked me if I was uke is making me wish I stayed home. What does that even mean?" I turned to see Adam hiding his face behind his hand in an attempt to not laugh out loud. I scowled.

"What's it mean?" I asked.

"Nothing," Adam said, recovering quickly to take on that stoic expression of his, although, the corner of his lips were still slightly quirked up, "I dunno. I only speak English and two words in Spanish, one in French, and one in German. Let's not worry about that now. We're eating lunch in the student council room today because they want to discuss the dance."

"Joy." I deadpanned. Adam smirked, pushing off the lockers and leaning forward to kiss me on the cheek before we headed for the student council room. My cheeks flamed as I hurried after him, ignoring the girls that were giggling in the hallway. Even a few guys were grinning as if it were the greatest thing in the world.

It was really hard to tell if they were making fun of us or if they thought gay couples were seriously the cutest thing ever.

We walked into the council room, which was already filled with all the members, and Seth and Kipp. We got our own side of the long, round table in the center of the room. On the other side were the student council members, save for Katie who sat at one end of the table and the vice-president, Evan, who sat at the other end. Evan was a freakishly tall silent type with dark chic glasses to match his longish hair and eyes.

Jace, the student council treasurer, sat across from me and was picking his nails with a pair of scissors, ignoring his bag lunch of a tuna sandwich and boiled eggs. He wasn't a really attractive guy, though. His dark hair was kind of greasy and hung in long curls to his shoulders or sometimes in a ponytail. His face was severely destroyed by acne that made it unbelievably red, and his hazel eyes had dark circles under them like he hardly slept.

Trevor, the student council secretary, sat beside him. He was kind of cute, I guess. He was a bit on the small side, lean and skinny, with a bit of a baby face and big brown eyes, his auburn hair cut short and stylish. He had a band-aid on his cheek, which told me he was probably hiding a zit from the world.