Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen (Adam)

I woke up the next morning expecting Julian to be mad at me, or to have had at least one vision.

Instead, I woke up to find him curled up against me, his arms around me and head resting on my shoulder, in the same way we fell asleep. I was surprised given the fact that A) Both of us thrash around in bed all night, and B) I figured Julian was angry with me for not wanting to be a halfblood.

And I knew why he was asking me. He was scared. He didn't want anything to happen, and honestly, neither did I. I knew being a halfblood would make things infinitely easier, and it might even win me some points with the parental units, but what would I be then?

Just another halfblood? Just like everyone else? Nothing special?

I felt surprisingly depressed. I hadn't felt like this in incredibly long time. I'd learned to suppress this kind of feeling, because I already expected everything to go wrong, or to remain the same. I learned that life could easily slap you across the face right when you managed to get yourself back up. I dealt with it like that too. I knew things could suck, but it was the moment that didn't suck so much that made me happy.

But right now, it was really hard to find moments that didn't suck.

I didn't want to get out of bed. I just wanted to lay there all day with Julian curled up against me like I was something important. I liked the way he looked at me like he was amazed, awed, thrilled. He looked at me like I was more than just a pathetic human. He looked at me like I was the human, not just another human.

Most humans couldn't take down vampires or stand up to ridiculously tall mermen or shapeshifters or whatever the hell was lot there. Most humans would panic and run away, make up excuses, and leave.

But not me.

I was here for Julian.

At the same time, that's what made me realize that maybe being human wasn't enough. As a human, yes, I could take the baddies down, but they could also take me down too. What would it be like if I were a halfblood? Would a shot to the shoulder wound me the way it did before or would it heal before the next day?

And the blood.

It all came down to the blood. Goosebumps rose on the surface of my skin and my stomach clenched in disgust at the thought of drinking someone else's blood. Human blood. I would need to drink human blood to be strong, I would need it to survive. To walk in the sunlight, to withstand a gunshot wound. But I didn't want to drink blood. I didn't want to have to depend on someone else to live.

Thinking about it was making me angry now, but I didn't move because I didn't want to wake up Julian.

I glanced at the alarm clock sitting on the nightstand. It was only eight in the morning. Mrs. Grey let us skip school today because Amber and Mary-Kay were visiting, but we had to go back tomorrow. Obviously, we had to stay after to help set up the gym for the dance.

I wanted to be eager for this, maybe even excited. To play a gig, even one this small, with Julian, Seth, and Kipp. To just completely forget about vampiric terrorists and parasitic demons. It would be nice to just forget.

"Mmm..." I tilted my head to see Julian slowly waking up, his eyelids lifting slowly to reveal a pair of tired blue eyes. A small smile played on his lips as he kissed my chin and snuggled up closer to me, putting an arm around me.

"Don't go back to sleep," I whispered, making him sigh tiredly, "We need to get ready for tomorrow. I still don't have a tux." Julian opened his eyes again at that, looking up at me, studying my face before he nodded.