Chapter Twenty-Two: A Proper Thank-You

Evelyn's POV

It seemed to me as if Ash purposefully avoided me all day. I mean, I wasn't expecting anything special, but he was the one who pointed out that it was our one-month anniversary two days ago. Now, he acts as if today means nothing. It didn't bother me. No, I didn't have expectations. Or rather, I thought I succeeded in smothering all my expectations, but somewhere in between then and now, Ash managed to slip desire into my conscious being. It would be a lie to say that his effect didn't bother me. Oh, it bothered me. A lot. More than I could ever describe.

Adele nudged me, "What's wrong?"

I shook my head, "Just lost in my thoughts."

She gave me a curious look, "Your thoughts seem angry."

I raised my eyebrows, "Angry?"

She laughed, "Tell me what's wrong."

I shrugged, "Well, I foolishly assumed that Ash would something special today. It's our one-month anniversary and whatnot, and it was him that pointed that out in the first place. But..." I bit my lip and looked out the window, admiring how the moon managed to shine through the clouds, "I haven't seen him all day. I hate to say this, because I promised myself to not have any expectations, but I'm—"

"Disappointed?" Adele finished for me.

I nodded, shoulders slumped.

"Ev, Ash just has really poor timing. Maybe he has something planned, but doesn't know how to carry it out per say. Be patient."

"It's just better if I stop looking forward to something when there's nothing there."

Adele yawned, "Well that's all up to you. But I'm so tired today I think I'll call it a night. I'll see you tomorrow! Good night, sweet dreams and don't think about Ash!" She rambled before pushing me out of her chambers and abruptly closing the door.

What has gotten into her?

With a sigh, I reached my own quarters and prepared for bed as well. Oddly enough, none of the chambermaids stood by tonight, so I decided to undress myself behind the privacy screen. It must have been later than I thought. Just as I took my dress off, I heard something shift in the room.

"Who's there?" I called out in a trembling voice.

I reached for my nightgown and quickly pulled it out before grabbing a nearby candelabrum. I saw a shadow shift on the other side of the privacy screen.

"Reveal yourself!" I was better at faking bravery than I thought.

I backed up against the wall, ready to call for help. Suddenly the figure launched at me, prompting me to scream. A hand covered my mouth, muffling the cry.

"Shhh!" He whispered, his magnificent blue eyes bearing into mine.

My eyes widened, "Ash?"

He nodded with a smile, "You thought this would fend anyone off?" He laughed, prying the unlit candelabrum out of my hand and setting it on a nearby table.

"Well, you're the one sneaking into other people's chambers at odd times!" I shot back.

He laughed, "Your reaction itself was worth the risk!"

I looked away as my cheeks grew heated, "What ever are you doing here anyway?"

He sat me down on the edge of the bed, "Give me your hand."