Chapter Fifty-Three: Mischief

A cautious flow of guards surrounded us as we were escorted to the private tents that were set up off to the side while the entertainment and food was set up in the village center. We were to be summoned for the first dance, but allowed to rest until then. I could hear the revelry outside as it drowned out Sir William's security protocol for the rest of the evening. I understood it's importance, I was the one who pushed for this after all, but I wanted nothing more than to be out there sharing in that excitement.

"Ev?" Ash looked at me expectantly.

I raised my eyebrows, "Hm?"

"You can't possibly be thinking of waiting here until the first dance."

I gave him an incredulous look, "That's precisely what we were instructed to do."

He rolled his eyes and took my hands into his own, "Hear that excitement? Feel the ecstasy radiating off of everyone? I want to bask in that glory, Ev, not waste it away isolated in this tent!"

With a stern look, I reprimanded him, "No. You can bask in it when it's time, now it's too disorganized and risky."

He plopped down onto a chaise with a frown. I looked around the well-adorned tent; it was definitely fit for a King. The staff did a wonderful job with creating this makeshift abode. I wondered if they did just a good of job for the other two tents, one for the Queen and the rest of the family and the third reserved for the few nobles who decided to attend the event. I could see the shadows of the guards surrounding the tent from all sides. Feeling secure enough, I took a seat next to Ash. He faced the other direction in an attempt to ignore me.

"Oh Ash, don't be such a child!" I chastised.

"I thought we could've snuck out and then you could've showed me your favorite places since childhood, it would've been so fun! And another way for me to make up for all those missed opportunities from our past..."

I found his reasoning to be romantic, but not enough for me to waver.

"Perhaps another time when it's not so crowded and we can be incognito."

He looked so disappointed, I came up with a compromise, "But, how about I tell you some stories of my childhood that took place right here in the center."

His eyes brightened, prompting laughter from me.

"Well, my favorite time of the year was always when the fair came. The lights, the performers, the food... the lemon candies were particularly my favorite."

"Your parents allowed you to attend the fair? I don't remember any noble being allowed to step foot in the town center when the oddities were here."

I bit my lip, "Well, not exactly. Clyde used to take me."

He raised an eyebrow, "Clyde? You mean the stable boy?"

I nodded, "I used to say I was going riding or to see Mrs. Wicker for a new dress," I lovingly caressed my dress between my fingers, "But he always found a way to take me. I absolutely loved it! It was one of the few times that I truly felt as if I was one with the common citizens. I think its thanks to those days that I'm able to keep an open mind now."

"With Clyde."

I sensed the jealousy in his tone.

"I'm sure you have your fair share of memories with your lady friends."

He turned red, "You would be surprised by the lack of."

"Oh please, there' no smoke without a fire. Every noblewoman in the kingdom has heard of your flirtations."

"Most of those rumors were started for me to get your attention, as I've confessed before."

"Ash, I've seen you getting cozy with several women during the dances prior to our marriage."

"Of course most women had feelings for an eligible bachelor. None of which were reciprocated, my love."

"Tell me about your first kiss."

He smiled as he reminisced the memory, "It was with an older girl. A kitchen maid, actually. I did it to get one more pastry than I was allowed before dinner. If mother knew, she would have thrown a fit."

"A kitchen maid? I'd think a stable boy is a rung above that."

"Your first kiss was Clyde?!"

"No, he was my third."

He mouth hit the floor causing me to erupt into laughter.

"I jest. Unfortunately, you were my first kiss."

"Unfortunately?"

"I wouldn't even call what we shared on our wedding day a kiss."

"I was no nervous that day. You know it was both exactly what I wanted and dreaded. You seemed so disengaged with the whole ordeal, I didn't know whether a real kiss would have been taking advantage of the situation without consent—"

I interrupted him, "It's fine, Ash, I'm not complaining because I completely understand. The circumstances were different then. But I feel like I didn't get a chance to be mischievous like everyone else. You've obviously had that."

His eyes gazed into mine with an expression I couldn't read.

Slowly, he leaned towards me, his hands roaming up under my skirts.

His lips closed in with mine, summoning euphoria from within my depths.

But I couldn't fall into his trance. Not here.

I pulled back and glanced around the surroundings, noting that the shadows were still very much there.

"Ash, we can't!"

He gently tugged my chin to face him, "I might have not been a good first kiss, but I'm a damn good kisser and you know it. Now is your chance to be mischievous, don't waste it."

I gave in to his logic. I couldn't fight my desire to want him in every way and the fear of being caught only seemed to push me over the edge.

For the first time that evening, I was grateful for the separated tents.