Chapter Fifteen: And Cue the Confusion

"Ash that was rude!" I protested as he pulled me through the halls of the castle.

            I could navigate through these corridors just fine during the day, but they looked very different at night. I shuddered at the shadows cast by the lamps and the ominous rustles of the leaves beyond the windows.

            "Ash, seriously!" I complained once more while yanking my hand away.

            He turned around, "What? Did you want to dance with him? Moments ago, you were complaining about your feet!"

            I did indeed complain, but not to him.

            "You were eavesdropping?" I accused.

            He looked away, trying to hide the red that started to tinge his cheeks. Was Ashton blushing? Was that even humanely possible? Or was it the cold air biting at his sensitive skin? I'd like to think it was the latter.

            "Not intentionally." He muttered.

            "Of course not." I snarked, but the pain in my ankles interrupted the pleasure I felt from embarrassing him.

            Wincing, I leaned against the wall to relieve myself of those god-forbidden shoes. The backs of my ankles where very much blistered, red and raw. I heard an agitated groan from Ash.

            "What happened to your ankles? How are you even standing?" He questioned, kneeling to get a better look.

            "Perks of being a lady." I sarcastically droned.

            "This won't do." He said getting back up.

            "What are you plan-" I was cut off mid-sentence as Ash hoisted me up with his strong arms.

            "I'm summoning the apothecary for you." He stated matter-of-factly.

            "What? No, I'm fine, put me down!" I flailed in his arms.

            It was of no use. He kept his sturdy form all the way to the bed chambers. Our shared chambers, the ones they prepared for us to use post-marriage, together. I couldn't help but blush as he carried me over the threshold. He didn't seem to notice though, being rather preoccupied by my injuries.

            "Stop staring. Not that you will ever tire of my face, but it is rather uncomfortable coming from you." He smirked.

            I began to furiously deny his accusation, only to be interrupted as he dropped me onto the bed without warning. I sat up to protest, but once again was cutoff by his call for a maidservant.

            "Can you please summon the apothecary here? Tell him to bring ointment for chaffed skin."

            She obeyed and took off in haste.

            "You're making a huge deal out of nothing." I grumbled.

            He suddenly reached out for one of my ankles, wincing at the sight.

            "This is not nothing! Look at this! I don't think you'll be able to wear anything but slippers until this scabs over. You should've just declined to dance if you were in so much pain." He scolded.

            I studied him. His brow was furrowed out of worry, his eyes expressed frustration, and his lips were pursed in disapproval. I felt like I was in the presence of a trusted caretaker, not my childhood tormenter. I found myself relishing in the feeling of being doted on.

            A man cleared his throat at the entrance, "Your Majesty, I understand that I am summoned for an injury?"

            Ash immediately stood up and explained the situation.

The elderly man laughed, "Oh dear, I was worried something serious had happened since I was interrupted in the middle of the ball!"

            "See, I insisted it was nothing!" I hissed at Ash, "I'm sorry sir, it was not worth disrupting your night."

            The man shook his head, "Oh, it's nothing at all! Let's see," he gently examined my feet,  "This should heal by tomorrow morning with the ointment."

            Like that, he dressed my ankles and left. The ointment was very soothing, so much so that I barely felt any pain minutes within its application.

            "Do you feel better now?" Ash asked with hopeful eyes.

            I nodded with a small smile, "Still wasn't worth all that fuss though."

            He shrugged, "As long as you feel better."

            Who is he and what has he do to the real Ashton?

            "Ash, are you okay?"

            He gave me a confused look, "Yeah, why?"

            "You're unusually out of character today."

            He looked at me, "No, I'm exactly who I want to be."

            I was touched. Maybe I had misjudged him. He really was making an effort now, after I stood my ground. Perhaps if I keep spelling things out, they'll get through that thick skull of his.

            "We should go back, they're probably wondering where we are." I said as I rose from the bed.

            He gently pushed me back down while getting in the bed himself, "Let them be, they're probably far too drunk to even notice at this point."

            I panicked as he lowered himself onto the bed, hovering inches above my own body. 

What is happening? Is he making a move? Already? Isn't it too soon? 

I could practically hear my heart beating, ringing throughout my ears.

            Just as his face hovered inches from mine, he laughed and rolled over to the side, off of me.

            "Relax, I'm not planning on initiating intimacy anytime soon. Especially when you're so uncomfortable with it." He spoke nonchalantly, sneaking a look at me from the side.

            I knew I was as red as a tomato. I also knew that was why he couldn't contain his amusement at what had just happened.

            "It's not like you've had any experience." I grumbled, turning away from him.

            "I can bet that I have more than you." He replied.

            I could practically hear his cocky smirk through his comment.

            "A-as if that's even the t-type of experience that matters." I stuttered, getting more flustered by the second.

            I felt his hot breath in my ear as he whispered, "Then what kind of experience is it that matters? Why don't you teach me?"

            I shot up, barely missing his head. I couldn't handle this any longer without embarrassing myself beyond repair.

            "You'll see at the court meeting tomorrow. Good night, Your Royal Highnass." I chastised as I briskly walked out of the room.

            If only the room wasn't so huge, my exit would have been much more dramatic. As soon as I was out, I leaned onto a nearby pillar to catch my breath. I placed my hands on my cheeks, which felt very warm, meaning they were still flush with red. 

What is Ash doing to me?