Chapter Sixty: Comfort

Evelyn's POV

I sat in the large arm chair with my knees tucked under my chin, gently rocking back and forth as the image of Lady Arabella's still form refused to leave my mind.

I honestly did not care for the woman, I never had. 

But for some reason, my lack of empathy riddled me with guilt. After all, death is death and suicide is even more tragic. 

How difficult must it be for someone to take their own life with their own hands? Especially after experiencing it, knowing all the pleasures and sorrows it can offer with a tasteful dance of highs and lows. I could only find comfort in the fact that the sedative nature of belladonna made her departure painless. 

I looked up as Ash walked into the study. His expression was dark and lined with concern. He knelt down in front of me, meeting my eyes with his own. He reached out and caressed my cheeks. The coolness of his hands brought relief to my flushed skin.

"Are you okay?" He muttered in a tone that sent a pleasant tingle down my spine.

I nodded, "Shocked."

He smiled gently, "So am I. I thought marrying you would be the most complicated part of my life, but life keeps throwing us for a loop."

I playfully smacked him, "Marrying me? Oh please, that should be my line. You may be the king, but you're definitely the queen of drama in this relationship."

He playfully pursed his lips, "Seeing as how amused that joke made you, I'll choose to ignore it."

This time, I reached out and touched his face, "How are you feeling? Upset?"

He shrugged, "I'm more upset that I'm not upset about her passing. I mean, she was my very own grandmother! But I felt nothing for that woman and still loath her for continuously putting us in these difficult situations. I simply wish I had a real grandmother."

"I wish you could have met mine. I never knew my father's parents because they passed early on from the plague, but my mother's were everything anyone could hope for. I was devastated at their passing when I was still a girl."

"I suppose grandparents are a luxury, then."

"I hope it's a luxury that our future children get to experience."

He gave me a curious look, "Well, your parents are just lovely and I know my mother would spoil them endlessly, so I'm sure they'll fare better off than us."

There was a slight pause before he spoke again.

"But you have been thinking of these hypothetical children a lot, recently. It wouldn't be too hard to make them a reality. Our reality."

I felt blush creep up on my cheeks again, but this time for a different reason. 

"I could say that it's because of your late grandmother's incessant persistence, but I have to admit... I think children would be lovely."

"Right now?"

"Well I mean, not right right now but --" 

He interrupted me with a passionate kiss. 

"Around nine months from now?" He teased while ghosting my lips.

"Only chance will tell, won't it?" I teased back before pulling him in to finish what he started.