Chapter Forty-Two: Crimson

Ash's POV

"Always at the most opportune time." I hissed under my breath.

I resisted the urge to knock the vase over on my way to open the door, but my anger dissipated as soon as I took in Sir William's grim expression. The weight of his words hit me as the daze from Evelyn's fragrance wore off.

"Murder?" I repeated.

He nodded.

"Who? When? Where?" I shot out each question without pause.

His eyes flicked from me to Ev as he hesitated to reveal the details. I followed his gaze and saw that the color had drained from her face, a stark contrast to reddish hue that decorated it just moments ago.

He lowered his voice, returning his attention to me, "The body, belonging to a peasant farmer in Tisbury, is being examined as we speak... but the situation is rather complicated, and I'm afraid enough eyes witnessed its display that word will spread fast."

"What about it is complicated? Perhaps it was nothing more than a local feud!"

"Your Majesty, you must see it, I cannot will myself to say it..." He hesitated, warily eyeing Evelyn again, "it's rather grisly."

I understood his intentions. My lips pursed as I nodded and held my hand out, suggesting he lead the way.

"Ash, I'm coming too." Ev approached us.

I turned back to face her, a stern expression on my face, "No you are not."

She furrowed her eyebrows at me, "This is something I need to see—"

"The mortuary is no place for a lady." I shot back.

Her expression only darkened. Sensing the situation, Sir William politely excused himself, insisting that he'd wait for me at the destination. I massaged my temples, frustrated by the turn of events. Within minutes, everything had changed.

I already missed the tingling warmth of her touch, and the heat that radiated from her anger was disappointing in comparison.

"Evelyn, we don't have time to argue about this presently. Simply accept my word and at another time—"

"I will not! As Queen, I have equal involvement in these affairs as you do and if I choose to be part of this examination, then you cannot condemn it."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

She didn't understand.

She's never seen a corpse before.

She should never have to.

"I promise to bring an illustration back." I tried to compromise.

She opened her mouth to protest again, but I didn't allow her.

I kissed her forehead and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear; "Sleep well tonight, Ev, with dreams as sweet as you. There is no need for you and I to fall prey to nightmarish reality this evening. I'm only protecting you."

Her expression remained a scorn, but I finally seemed to convince her. I smiled at her before briskly turning on my heels and turning down the corridor. The shadows cast by the torches against the castle's halls looked ghastly, almost as if they were cornering me. Of course, the knowledge that they currently held a murdered soul within their chambers only exaggerated this sensation. Although this wouldn't be my first time seeing a corpse, I can never seem to desensitize myself of the chills they send down my spine. I closed my eyes and mentally prepared myself before entering the stone-cold room, joining Sir William and the royal physician, Dr. Bertrand.