Chapter Twenty-Eight: Hyenas

I woke up well before Ash the next morning. I figured he would sleep well past noon with the hangover he'd gotten himself into. I was in no mood to help, not after the way he misbehaved last night. Instead, I was back to running errands as usual. Aunt Claire has been serving as substitute during Ash's time off, and has been doing quite well at that.

"Evelyn, can you please pass me that accounts book?" She asked.

I obliged. I never realized how much property the Devereux actually owned, but the concept wasn't mindboggling. Managing the accounts for them, however, was. Just as I was hoping for a distraction, a servant came to inform me that Sir William requested my presence. I politely excused myself and went to visit him.

I was surprised to see that Lady Annabelle was seated in the room as well. Court hasn't been in session ever since the assassination attempt, so she doesn't have any reason to be at the castle. I grew even more confused by her distressed expression. The color had drained from her face and her eyes hardly focused on one thing. Sir William rose to greet me.

"How are you, Annabelle?" I greeted her.

She reached out and took my hands into her own, which were terribly shaky. Her skin felt cool to the touch.

I looked to Sir William, "Is something amiss?"

He let out a heavy sigh, "I think we found the culprit. Marcellus has been missing ever since the attack."

I gasped, "But he's been with the royal family for so long! He practically watched Ashton grow up."

"I- I didn't think he'd ever go this far." Annabelle whimpered.

I turned to her, "What do you mean?"

"He had been saying all sorts of ill words against the King ever since he replaced his father, and the court meetings only made it worse. Ever since he was publicly dismissed from his position... he was never the same. H-he left weeks ago, the morning that the King visited the village, and he still hasn't returned. I don't know where he could be or worse, if he's still planning something!"

Although Marcellus was more than unpleasant, I had never even imagined that he'd stoop as low as to take another's life. Or, attempting to at least.

"Annabelle, do you believe your grandfather acted alone or do you think that perhaps he could be part of a larger threat?" I asked.

She shook her head, "I- I don't know, but he spent a majority of his time alone at home after his dismissal. I didn't witness any substantial correspondence with outsiders."

I nodded in understanding, turning to face Sir William.

As if on cue, he started to update me, "I have search parties scouring the entire kingdom and neighboring areas. Don't worry, we will definitely find him."

"Thank you for all your hard work."

He bowed, "It is our duty."

I left with a heavy heart. The longer I spent as the Queen, the heavier the pressure of cynicism felt. Marcellus, a man thought to be of great honor with strong ties to the Crown, had attempted to murder someone equivalent to his grandson, all over a petty title. Lady Arabella's words continued to echo in my mind.

Who are we to trust when we're surrounded by hyenas?