Chapter Thirty-One: "As long as it's with you"

"Evelyn, get in the bed." He demanded in a gruff voice.

"No!" I exclaimed for the umpteenth time.

He peered down at me with narrowed eyes from his cushy, four-poster bed. I tossed and turned on the floor, my head elevated by nothing more than a humble bundle of straw. I pulled the thin potato sack closer around my body, trying my best to ignore the itching sensation that crept across my skin.

It felt miserable.

He sighed, "How is living like a commoner helping anyone, Ev?"

"I'm trying to think, Ash! Stop pestering me."

"You had gruel for dinner. I doubt you have enough energy to think."

"I can't tell whether this marble floor is more or less comfortable than a dirt one." I wondered out loud.

It was rather cold and, not to mention, very hard.

"I suppose a dirt floor would be softer." Ash mumbled sleepily.

He was never too tired for sarcasm.

I groaned.

"A good night's sleep is necessary for optimum productivity." I lamented.

I could see the concern lining his face against the shadowy flames of the candelabra. I shot up and blew them out, leaving us in the dark.

"What was that for?!"

"You think everyone can afford candles to burn throughout the night?"

"I suppose you're going to put the fireplace out next?" He asked, nodding at the hearth, which emitted warmth throughout the chilly room.

"I don't suppose you know how to put a fireplace out?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Evelyn, this is the last time that I'm politely requesting you to abandon your mission." He stated in a firm tone.

I raised myself up to face him at eye level, "And what if I don't?"

A mischievous look crossed his face before he jumped out from under the covers. Soon, I felt his arms under me as they lifted me from the floor and placed me on the bed. He followed soon after, throwing his arm over me in a manner that locked me down. I knew he could feel my glare, even in the dim light.

"Don't get mad at me, Ev. But all of this," he paused to pull a piece of straw out of my tresses, "really isn't accomplishing anything, unless you count worrying me as an accomplishment."

"But Ash, after having heard Elena speak, I feel like a hypocrite. I need to figure out how to help these people, and to do that, I need to fully understand what they go through. What better way can I do that than experience it myself?"

His mouth twisted into a pout, "I'd prefer if my wife didn't put herself through such extremities."

"But it's my choice Ash! I want—no, I need to do this."

He let out a heavy sigh, "Fine. But either give yourself an authentic experience or don't attempt it at all."

"Authentic?"

He nodded, "You're still in the castle, Ev. You're surrounded by luxury; servants wait for you at every corner. There is no possible way that you can experience the life of an ordinary Sedalian inside these walls. They only reinforce your position as a queen."

I scoffed at how true his words were. I have to admit, I missed being the one giving profound lectures to him. Perhaps I taught him too well.

"Maybe I should reach out to someone, perhaps someone who works for my family, someone trustworthy yet sincere enough to open their home to me."

"Let me join you."

I raised my eyebrows at him, "What? Are you serious?"

He nodded, "I want to."

I laughed, "Ash I don't think you understand what you're committing yourself to."

He decisively took my hand into his own, "I don't mind, as long as it's with you."

I couldn't help but smile at his sappiness.

I loved it.