Chapter Nine: Making Amends

Evelyn's POV

We reached our destination after the sun set and left a shadow of darkness upon the towering columns of Trephine. I gasped as I took in its outward architecture, reminding myself that this elegantly adorned estate was given to Ash as a mere birthday present. He truly is a spoiled brat. I huffed as a sudden fire ignited within me. I need to teach him a lesson. I've cried enough. I don't fit the damsel in distress image that consumed me these past few days. He's a bit overdue for his wakeup call.

I turned back to William and bowed out of habit, "I'm so sorry for the trouble that I caused you. I will forever be indebted to your kindness."

"It really wasn't a bother, it's my sole duty to protect the royal family after all." He smiled while returning my curtsey.

He gently kissed the ring on my finger.

"But your highness, you can't go alone at this time without an escort!"

I turned around to see a frantic maid running after Ashton. A smirk played on my lips; I was ready to take him on. My cocky expression faded as I took in his haphazard appearance. He looked... Worried, almost. Stressed. I wondered why, knowing that it couldn't have been because of my brief disappearance. In fact, I expected my abrupt return to trigger those expressions, not my disappearance.

"Leave me be! I don't need –" He froze in his tracks when he saw me.

His eyes shifted towards me and then William, who was still holding my hand. William sensed this and immediately dropped it.

"Oh, you're back." He simply stated.

I smiled, growing immune to his lack of affection.

"You seemed to fare well in my absence." I retorted.

His lips twitched.

"Listen, your royal highn-ass, you won't get rid of me that easily. I'm embarrassed about my actions, but I'm here to make amends. Amends in favor of myself. I expect you to tolerate every. Single. One." I said, annunciating to emphasize my statement.

Suddenly, he did something unexpected.

He wrapped his arms around me. Ashton was hugging me.

"That's exactly what I've wanted to do for years. Make amends." He whispered.

My eyes went wide with shock as I stumbled away from him. I looked into his eyes, trying to read his true intentions. Not a single sign could be found in that dark blue abyss. I grimaced and turned away. He's not going to play with me anymore. The tables have turned.

"This man saved me from many possible miseries today." I introduced William.

William bowed low before him.

"I was on my routine rounds when I found the princess stranded on the side of the road." He explained.

"I see. Thank you." Ash responded, with an icy glare and emotionless tone.

Is there a single being on this earth that he's polite to? Discounting immediate family, of course. Aunt Claire believed in corporal punishment and I for one am amused to attest to the fact that many of her methods were tried on Ash before recommending them to new mothers everywhere. In other words, even a speck of crassness from him to her would result in a slipper to his face.

I discreetly yanked on his shirt sleeve before whispering, "Don't be rude. Reward him!"

"Why should I reward the man for doing his job? And for a mess you created, nonetheless. If you so desire to be loose, then go on with it." He exploded.

His sudden comment left a stony silence in the air. How could he openly speak of a treason such as adultery? Nonetheless accuse me of it?

I rapidly blinked the tears back.

He sighed, "I apologize. Please, excuse my absence." He spoke before striding quickly back into the castle.

As soon as he disappeared, William let out a baffled laugh.

"I see why it's so hard for you to tolerate him. At least his jealousy shows how much he cares for you. I'm going to leave before I make him any greener. Take care, princess!" He waved, as he got on his horse.

"Good bye! Be careful!" I waved, as he set off into the dark.

Jealous? That's hardly believable. The only way Ash would be jealous is if he thought of me as his plaything that caught someone else's attention. And perhaps he does, but he won't be thinking that for long. I took confident steps into the castle, determined to set my infuriating husband straight.