Chapter Forty-Six: Matriarchs

Of all times, Ash simply had to be absent now.

I wasn't upset that he had left that morning, considering the circumstances, but I honestly admit that I looked forward to waking up in his arms, possibly reliving last night.

Except, her boorish voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Does he even understand the weight of his actions? And where is his mother? Has she forgotten her role in the family? It seems she doesn't even know how to properly raise children, let alone follow wifely duties! Just because her husband is dead doesn't mean she can slack off, letting her own child slander his father's name!" Lady Arabella's voice screeched throughout the empty dining hall.

Aunt Claire didn't present herself, an act that has become a habit of hers. Adele seemed to have been following her mother's footsteps, leaving me as the devil's sole victim. Ever since Ash exposed her dirty deed of murdering Godfrey Annesley, her own nephew, so that her own son could become King, the mere sight of her sizable form sent chills down my spine. And to think that her bloody hands would be the first to hold the next heir once he or she is born...

I grimaced, shaking the possibility out of my mind.

"Do you hear me child?" She yapped, her wrinkles only accentuating her disappointment.

"Yes, it'd be rather difficult not to." I muttered under my breath.

"What?"

I smiled, "Let me go find him, it's not like him to skip meals. If you'll excuse me for a moment..."

"Well hurry up! Time is a precious commodity in my age."

"Not precious enough, apparently." The words escaped my mouth as I left the room.

There was really one other place he could be, and relief flooded over me when I saw him in his father's study. Well really, it was his own at this point, considering how much of his work is done here.

"You weren't at breakfast." I stated.

He smiled and bent down to kiss my cheek, "I needed some time to myself. Didn't mean to leave you all by yourself, love."

I scoffed, "It would've been better if I was by myself."

He cocked an eyebrow, "Mother showed?"

"No..." I could sense the disappointment as his expression fell, "But your grandmother did."

His face contorted in disgust.

"I know, and she's extremely upset—"

"About what I did to father." He finished my sentence.

I nodded.

"Should've known." He grumbled, running a hand through his hair.

"She might just massacre the dining staff if you don't present yourself." I added.

He sighed as he closed the doors of the study behind us, "I wouldn't put it past her. I'm so sorry you had to deal with her by yourself."

I shrugged, "I'd say that I've handled worse during my time here."

He smirked, "You not referring to me, are you? Especially not after last night."

Blasphemy.