Chapter Fifty: Dresses

"Your Majesty, please excuse my brashness for making this suggestion, but a different material would look more regal and would be more, well... fitting for a woman of your stature." The royal seamstress commented as she ran her fingers over the Charmeuse silk gown.

It was the very same dress that Mrs. Wicker, my childhood seamstress, posthumously gifted me. Guilt washed over me when I thought of the hours she had spent hunched over the fabric to produce the floral needlework that danced around the hems of the beautiful gown, despite her bad back. If anything, I regretted not being there for her passing. Clyde told me she had spent months saving up for the blush pink fabric and yet it didn't seem to meet the standards of the Royal Court. That didn't matter to me. What mattered was that this was the last remnant I had left of Mrs. Wicker and I was going to wear it proudly. I knew that politically this would be a bold move as well, in favor of the crusade Ash preached on behalf of the common society.

So, I shook her comments off and insisted that she continue to make the proper adjustments to the dress because I would be wearing it. And that was final.

Adele was in her own world examining the new satins that had arrived. Undoubtedly, she would be picking a shade from that collection and having her dress custom made. But I couldn't blame her. She had someone to impress, after all.

Whether that someone was Stephen Arden or not, only time could tell.

She still hadn't received a response from him regarding the ball and as much as she tried to play it off after her initial outburst, I could tell his lack of correspondence was still bothering her. In fact, I'd never seen her so smitten by someone during our lifetime of friendship. It was adorable albeit daunting. I could never imagine being in love with someone so blindly.

Even with Ash, there was a long and hazardous period of denial before acceptance settled in.

Far from love at first sight.

At that moment, he walked in with that irresistible grin on his face.

But love, nonetheless.

He leaned down and kissed my forehead. His touch was too fleeting for my satisfaction, but it would do for now. He admired the dress as the seamstress proceeded to pin the adjustments.

"It's beautiful. Ms. Wicker was truly gifted." He muttered.

I nodded, "Her talent surpassed her means."

He turned to face me, hands on my shoulders, "From now on, we won't let poverty override talent. We'll preach equal opportunity."

I smiled back at him, "Are the materials set for the library?"

"Yes, work is set to start as soon as we place the first stone in the foundation to kick off the ball."

I let out a sigh of relief. It felt surreal, the progress we were making. All I could do was patiently wait and pray for this day to come. It seemed to be one hurdle after another and I still wasn't completely at ease. How could I be when a murderer was still out on the loose?

I tugged on Ash's sleeve, pulling him to a private corner.

"How about the security?"

He frowned, "Ev, there's nothing to—"

"Don't you dare tell me that there's nothing to worry about Ash. The man who shot an arrow through your heart is still out there for God's sake! And not to mention the threatening propaganda from a serial murderer out on the streets."

"But historically, these events have always been open carriage. How do you think the people would feel if we still kept out of reach despite going so far for them? And please, the only arrow that has ever pierced my heart is cupid's when I saw you."

I couldn't help but cringe at his last line before pulling his collar to the side, revealing the scar that resulted from that mortifying night that seemed to happen ages ago. The agonizing threat of losing him, however, still remained fresh in my mind.

"You almost died that night, you idiot!" I hissed.

I felt tears prick at the edges of my eyes. His own went wide with worry.

"Ev, please. Fine, we'll do a closed carriage. There is already a bounty in place for Marcellus' capture, since he is our prime suspect, and watchmen have been alerted to keep an out for him in local areas. Sir William and his finest will be guarding us the entire way to the village center and we'll be back here for the festivities any way. Every guard will be on high alert in the corridors open to the public. And most importantly," He playfully poked my nose, "I'll be right next you the entire night, so no man would ever dare to touch me after seeing your expression."

"Nor woman." I added.

He laughed and teasingly added, "Nor woman."