Chapter Twenty-Four: Relief

Evelyn's POV   

          The thumps from my horse's hooves hit the cold, paved ground of the castle's courtyard. I could feel the suds running down my mouth, prompting me to wipe the mess off with my sleeve. I could feel a warm tear graze my cheek, leaving a burn in its wet trail. I didn't stop for the guards. I jumped off and ran as fast as I could to the doors, practically kicking them open to reveal—

It was déjà vu.

I had already experienced loss once, it can't be happening again.

It was a dream—no, a nightmare that felt all too real.

I awoke with a gasp, causing Adele and Aunt Claire to rush to my side.

"Are you feeling better?" Adele's voice was hoarse, her eyes puffy and red from crying.

I nodded, struggling to swallow the lump in my throat, "W-what about him?"

Aunt Claire gave me a tired smile, "He's in a stable condition. He's been calling for you ever since he came to."

I immediately swung myself off the bed, "Is he in his chambers?"

She nodded, "I believe the physician just left."

Without hesitation, I bolted towards his quarters. I could feel the warm tears again.

Thank you. I repeatedly chanted in my mind.

I recklessly pushed the doors open to reveal a startled Ash, who struggled to push himself off the bed. I rushed to his side and gently made him lay down again.

He had a goofy smile plastered on his face, "Ev, did I worry you?"

"You ass! How could you leave without me?" I mustered in between sobs, running my hands through his hair.

He chuckled, "I'm fine, really, see?" He let out a low grunt while trying to push himself up.

"Don't move!" I hissed.

He abided, still smiling.

"Do you think this is funny?" I chastised.

"I wouldn't say funny... but it feels good to know that you really do care about me."

"Is that what's important now? Where did the arrow strike?"

He pushed the covers down, revealing his toned abdomen, which was largely covered by bandages at the moment. I gasped, lightly running my hand over the crimson stain near his lower torso. More tears escaped.

"Really, I'm fine! I'll be good as new after some bed rest."

"You idiot! How is this fine? You have an open wound the size of my hand! Why didn't you take me with you? Maybe this wouldn't have happened if only—"

"Shh..." He hushed, "What's meant to be has happened. Let's just be glad that we avoided the worst."

"If only you woke me up..." I mumbled.

He reached out to tuck a stray hair behind my ear, "But you looked so peaceful sleeping... I didn't have the heart to disturb that."

"I swear, if you do this again—"

"It's better this way. What if you had got hit instead? I don't think I could've handled that."

"That would have been better! A kingdom is nothing without its king."

"Evelyn!" He said in a menacingly low tone. "Don't speak like that. I'm nothing without you."

At that moment, I realized just how precious this man had become to me. Just within the span of a month, he had progressed from nothing to my everything.

He stretched his arms out, "Come join me?"

A smile formed on my face as I occupied the empty space next to him, my head on his chest, and his arms protectively wrapped around me.

I couldn't hold back one question, "Who did this to you? The moment I find out—"

"Shh..." He whispered, "Don't ruin this moment."

I couldn't help but giggle, "Your priorities never cease to amaze me."

"Mmm..." He sighed, already half asleep.

I snuggled closer to him, finding peace in sleep as well.