Chapter Forty-Four: A Distraction

"But Adele, this is the only way to regain control of the kingdom's finances – to start from the beginning. There's no other way to salvage the faith and honor owed to the throne." I intercepted her sobs.

"How could he? To Father?" She wailed.

I sighed, realizing how much marriage had contributed to my development into an adult, while she still remained the naive, playful girl I had known my entire life. There truly wasn't a correlation between wisdom and age.

"Adele, look at me," I propped her chin up, "Ash isn't denouncing his father. He is denouncing the former King."

Her sobs calmed to sniffles as my words settled in. She took my hands into her own.

"Ev, I don't like this."

"Like what?"

"Life was much simpler before. I don't like dealing with these political affairs. I don't like that Ash is changing everything. I don't like that I barely see my dearest friend anymore. I..." she sighed, "I didn't expect that your marriage to Ash would entail all of this. I just wanted you to fully be a part of the family, I knew you would've been good for him... I was enamored by the idea that we'd officially be sisters. If it's been this hard for me, who was just informally involved, I can only imagine how hard it has been for you and... I'm sorry." She finished with tears in her eyes.

I laughed, causing her eyebrows to knot in confusion.

I pulled her into a hug, "Silly girl, I don't regret a thing! In fact, I feel rather suited for this role. I fear that if it had been anyone else, we would have fared much worse. Truly, I am grateful."

She managed a smile, "I'm glad... but remember that I'm always here if you're ever in need of an escape."

I returned her smile, "I appreciate that."

She sank into the sofa, at peace after our conversation.

"Have you heard? Sky visited Elena at her family's home in the outskirts."

I shook my head, "I've been so detached from everyone these past few weeks, I haven't the slightest clue of what's happening."

She clapped her hands in excitement, eager to fill me in on all the latest gossip. It was a much-welcomed distraction.

Aunt Claire did not present herself for dinner that evening. I gently placed my hand over Ash's under the table, noticing his glum expression. He managed to lighten up at my touch, but I could still sense his disappointment at his mother's disapproval. From the beginning, he was closer with his mother over his father, so it was understandable. However, I hated to think that her behavior was causing him to doubt himself.

Shortly after dining, the Royal Guard lined up for departure. Both Ash and I wished them luck.

"Your everlasting desire for the cause is commendable, Sir William. After this is all over, the highest honors will be bestowed upon you." Ash praised him.

"Your Majesty, rest assured that the greatest honor that I desire is Sedalia's bright future. Please look forward to our successful return." He responded before setting off with his men.

We watched from our balcony as the large group disappeared into the night, warrants in hand.

Ash let out a sigh of relief before wrapping his arms around my waist from behind, "It's finally happening."

I relished in his embrace as he took in the scent of my hair, "I can barely wait to welcome the results."

"Perhaps I can come up with a distraction." He responded, as his soft lips playfully grazed my neck, sending pleasant chills down my spine.

"A distraction would be much welcomed." I whispered, struggling to keep my voice from quivering.

He ushered us back into our chambers without hesitation. Intense warmth radiated from his touch as his hands roamed all over my body. I found support against the wall, not trusting my knees to remain stable. He gazed into my eyes as he pressed his lips against my own, making me forget which out of the two pairs belonged to me. For fear of my body going limp with desire at a moment's notice, I fumbled with the buttons of his shirt, resorting to yanking them off as I reached the end of the trail.

He let out a deep chuckle at my impatience, but he was so close that I could feel it resonate throughout his impeccable form as it rested against my own. I ran my fingers over his chiseled torso, tracing the troughs and valleys that decorated his abdomen, formed from years of combat training no doubt. I chastised myself for my past misconceptions, remembering that I used to think he barely dedicated himself to anything courtly. Well, this was achieved by obvious dedication.

He pulled at the ribbons securing my gown with such ease that it almost felt graceful. I watched as it slipped off effortlessly on its own, pooling at my ankles. Standing in my undergarments, I couldn't quite tell whether the goose bumps that replaced the cloth resulted from the evening air hitting my bare skin or from the fact that his eyes never left my own, despite disrobing. I could feel heat radiating from my cheeks as he gently caressed them with one hand, while the other naturally fit around the curve of my waist, as if it was shaped for that sole purpose. Still holding his gaze, I tugged at the drawstring of his trousers, ensuring that we were both equally disrobed.

"You're so impatient, love."

The baritone in his voice at that moment sent me on edge.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting."

My voice was barely above a whisper.

"I've been waiting much longer." He countered, closing the distance between us yet again and commencing the first of what I hoped were many more nights to come.