Chapter Fifty-Six: Traitor

I adjusted my skirts around the chair set up next to Ash's throne. The main hall was decided to be the best location for the trial to start off in, due to its sheer size and accessibility by the public. The turnout was incredible as people piled into each other's laps to make room. A separate seating area flanking the throne was arranged for members of The Crown. A few of those seats would remain empty as the occupants chose instead to keep the dungeon cells warm rather than pay their taxes, including Mr. Hansbury. I watched as Annabelle took her seat, her face pale and sickly. Up until yesterday, she was the granddaughter of a wanted fugitive. Today, she was a prime witness and possible suspect related to betrayal committed by an ex-royal.

It occurred to me that, had Annabelle not been adopted, she would have been distantly related to Ash. I couldn't imagine a world in which she was next in line to the throne. Not that she would have necessarily made a bad ruler, but the kingdom needs Ash more than anything now.

Annesley's crimes disqualify him from being eligible to rule, but he also had wrongs committed against him. What worried me the most is what kind of punishment would have to be received from our side. If Lady Arabella confessed to her crimes, then the direction of the trial would be entirely different. But I didn't want to think about the gruesome punishment for treason against a member of the royal family – death.

The dissonant chatter of the hall calmed down as the trial was announced. Annesley was called forward to the center of the hall, bound in metal chains and flanked by footmen. Boos rang throughout the hall and the public was reprimanded for throwing spoiled food at him. Any future disorderly conduct would dismiss them from the hearing.

Annesley's facial expression remained stoic as ever, even covered in rotten tomatoes. He spoke only in turn and began explaining his existence at length.

"I, Godfrey Annesley, the eldest son of the Devereux lineage, was murdered at the very age that I would have been crowned. You must think me mad for screaming bloody murder while I'm still alive and kicking, but it is true. Godfrey Annesley died thirty-two years ago – not physically, but in this land's history. It is that very ignorance that allowed me to be reborn as Marcellus. I was quite shocked upon my return to Sedalia. Everyone spoke greatly of Gavin. He was like a child to me, not even a younger brother, that's how much younger he was. I taught him things his father couldn't because of his occupation with the kingship. A part of me felt like a proud parent, but that pride was overshadowed by great disdain. That was my throne. But my dear Sedalians, what stung more than petty theft was the sincere neglect of my existence – the orphan prince and his grim and lonely death, or so everyone thought. I regret to say," He looked directly as Lady Arabella, "your huntsman missed my critical area. I managed to escape as a bloody mess to the neighboring kingdom, Canterbury. There, a local blacksmith was able to take me in and nurse me back into a life. I settled there for a while, plotting, boiling with rage. I married his daughter, got a hefty dowry. We had a daughter. She could not bear a child of her own and like a miracle, we found Annabelle as an abandoned child on the road. Those were happy times. I had almost forgotten about my thirst for revenge, but alas, God was not kind to me. After the plague took everyone I had grown to love, except dear Belle, we moved to Sedalia to start a new life."

I looked over and saw tears streaming down Annabelle's face as she struggled to stifle her sobs.

He continued recounting the past, "The fire within was reignited; my plan was set into action as I slowly rose into the ranks of nobility. Even beyond my wildest imaginations, I grew to be the right-hand man of my own cousin, unbeknownst to him. He did not recognize the very man that helped him tame his first horse, taught him how to wield his first sword, and guided him through the virtues of life. Godfrey Annesley truly was dead. The irony drove me mad, although it was mildly amusing. I knew the throne could never be mine again, but standing next to it – being so close that I could taste it – drove me mad."

There was a pause. No one spoke as they processed all of this information. Even the crowd was silenced by enticement.

He was a good storyteller.

"Is the alleged finished with his opening statement?" The scribe penned down his every word.

Annesley confirmed, allowing for the questions to start.

A member of The Crown asked the single question that had been weighing every member of the audience down, "Are you responsible for the death of the late King?"

I watched as his cold eyes sought Ash out, carefully scanning his expression.

"Gavin was dear to me. He was never my target. But he was a sacrifice that had to be made for the ultimatum."

Ash gripped the side arms of the throne, his knuckles turning white.

Fearing the rude speech that could escape his mouth at this moment, I took the initiative to speak instead.

"What ultimatum?"

A smirk stretched across his slimy lips as his gaze fixated on me, "The ruin of this kingdom, my dear. If I can't have it, then no one should."

And then suddenly, it all clicked.

"That's why you pushed for war." I gasped.

"My dear, you are much brighter than the rest, which I fear is precisely why my plan failed. There is no way the Sedalian army would have survived that of Canterbury."

Obvious dismissal came from the crowds.

"Oh, pity your fools' pride! Death, famine, illness – ultimate abandonment."

"So you confess to your crimes?" Another member of The Crown confirmed.

Annesley put on a menacing smile, "Will there be mercy for my honesty?"

This statement was met by vehement protests.

"There is no such thing for treason of the highest degree." Ash admonished.

"Ah – so he speaks. You're father was a good man, truly. But he was not a good king. Trampled by the landed nobility, giving in to their every demand at the expense of the common man – which is why I found it ridiculous when people revered him for administering holistic policies. No commoner will truly know what's happening behind the scenes – I know this having been one formerly myself. You are a spitting image of your father; I doubt you can amount to be much more. In fact, the citizens must have no shame by continuing to pledged allegiance to a lineage of corruption."

I could see looks of confusion and fear exchanged between the onlookers. This wasn't good. The sly bastard was using his trial as a stage for slander. In my observations, I hadn't noticed Ash spring up from his seat. I watched, frozen in horror as he stormed down the steps.

No, no, no – this is the worst thing that could happen now.

I ran behind him, reaching out and grabbing his arm before he could make contact with Annesley's face.

I whispered into his ear, "Stop. Please stop. This is exactly what he wants. You can't solidify the doubt he's instilled in their minds by reacting this way."

His posture relaxed. He regained his composure. Annesley's mocking expression faltered.

Ash dismissed him with the wave of a hand, "Enough for now. Let us disjoin for a respite."

The guards practically had to drag Annesley away as he screamed at the top of his lungs, "What you see is not what is reality, people. Pigs sit on your thrones – PIGS!"

His voice faded away, but I feared that his statements had not.