Chapter One

Chapter One 

Damn.

What a stupid dream.

And an even stupider alarm.

I tossed and turned on my bed until I could no longer escape the horrible beeping sound my alarm made. I slam hard on the off button. Feeling immediately more peaceful. Shortly afterwards, I fell right back to sleep. This time, into a dreamless one.

My mom woke me up an hour later, “Anna get up! You’re going to be late for school!”

Great now I’m going to be late for my first day. I took a fast shower, tied my hair up in a messy bun, and applied simply enough mascara to not look too much of a zombie. I shuffled quickly through my clothes; I chose a pair of denim tight jeans with a plain white tee-shirt and covered myself with my favorite baggie hoodie.

As I made my way downstairs and through the door, my mom stopped me in my tracks, “Aren’t you forgetting something?”

“Oh right,” I kissed her cheek and said goodbye.

“Baby, I was talking about your lunch,” she said while bringing me my lunch in the paper bag she put it in.

I knew she was talking about that. I was just playing stupid. I grab it anyway just to make her happy.

“Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Thanks mom. I love you,” I half yell as I pace down the driveway.

As I sat down on the passenger seat of Katy’s black Toyota Camry, which used to belong to her mom, she eyes me suspiciously, without saying a single word. She doesn’t even start the engine. She just sat there for a whole minute, staring at me, and it drove me completely insane.

“What is it?” I snapped, while throwing my hands up in the air, clearly defeated by her silent game.

A slow smile crept from the corner of her lips, she extend both of her hands in front of her, in a defensive way, as if she was a criminal trying to say “Don’t shoot, I swear I’m not guilty.”

“Geez calm down. Did you get up of the wrong side of the bed or what?”

“Ugh. Yeah something like that,” I mumbled, dismissing myself from the conversation. But knowing her this was clearly just the beginning.

“What’s up with the hobo look? There’s no way I’ll let you start the year looking like that.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me, right?”

“Nuh-uh. This sweater has got to go. And what the hell are you thinking? It’s way too hot to be wearing these jeans,” she says while pointing at them, looking at me like I’ve committed the worst crime of the century.

There’s no point in arguing with her. She’s a complete fashion diva.

I yank off my hoodie, and turn to her, “Are you happy now, Fashionista?”

She grins, “Much better babe! Let’s get this show started.”

I sight and smiled at her. I love Katy with my life, even when she’s an annoying pain in the ass. She always knows how to cheer me up.

We rushed to school, missing the first bell by a close three seconds. As I ran up the stairs like a crazy maniac, I nearly knock out a dozen of students. Katy is trailing behind me, panting hard. I look over my shoulder to ask her if she’s alright but I suddenly smack right into a hard chest.

Shit.

Just my luck.

The guy grips my arms firmly, keeping me from falling, while Katy slams hard into my back, making the three of us fall to the ground. Smooth move Katy. We look like an inappropriate sandwich lying there on the floor. I manage to push Katy off of me as I roll off the boy. He gets up and lends me his hand. I instantly get up on my feet. My head is spinning uncontrollably from the impact.