Chapter Fifty-Six

Chapter Fifty-Six

Of course after dropping Kent to the nurse's, it was the first time I crossed path with Katy at lunch hour. I didn't even glance at her. Seeing her face made me fume with anger. How could she? We passed her without a regard, Cook beside me.

"Savannah," she called out to me after passing her.

I didn't turn around. I ignored the fuck out of her. A game she's well versed in. I wanted to say fuck you but I decided against it. There's no point to give her any satisfaction. To let her know she succeeded in hurting my feelings.

***

When the last bell rang at the end of History, I sprung out of my seat to my locker. I had my winter coat and backpack and I was out in less than 5 minutes, heading towards the busses. The bus didn't leave until 15 past the last bell but I just wanted to be desperately away from school.

I heard Cook before I saw him. "Wait! Savannah wait!"

I turned around and walked right into his chest in the middle of the parking lot. He wrapped his arms around me, hugging me in return. His smell was familiar and intoxicating. How I've grown used to his presence in the last few months.

When I pulled away, all of my today's feelings were in my throat. "What did you want?"

"I wanted to see if you were okay. Let me drive you home," he was being gentle.

I didn't answer. I was overwhelmed with all the emotions. Cook took my ungloved hand into his and guided me towards his car.

***

When we arrived to my house. I asked Cook to come in, with the way I asked he agreed.

"Want to watch a movie?" I suggested lamely. It was one of those times we hung out without studying in mind. I didn't want to be left alone.

He followed me in the basement where laid neatly the pillows and covers he used in case he returned. We sat side to side on the bed watching the first movie that played. I broke the silence after the first quarter of the movie. I wasn't even paying attention to it.

"I know he cheated on me with Katy but I have to help him. As a long time friend."

Cook shook his head, I was looking at him directly.

"I don't know how you do it. I don't know how you give him chances when he's been lying to you and mistreating you."

"I thought he loved me."

"I'm sure he does but he sucks at showing it. If I had you as a girlfriend I wouldn't act that way."

I stared at him and he stared back as if catching himself in his speech.

"I was talking in general you know. If I had a girlfriend I wouldn't treat her like that. Alcoholic or not," he said calmly.

"Why don't you?"

"Why don't I what?"

"Have a girlfriend," I asked, holding my breath. I had no idea what I was expecting his response to be.

He shrugged. He looked away from me, and glanced at the TV. When he turned back to me, I was still looking at him. How had I not notice him all this time? He was right in front of me. His bright blue green eyes always shining and inviting.

I inched forward. My breathing was shallowing. There's no stopping me now. I leaned in closer and his face came forward. He wasn't pulling away. He wasn't repulsed by the thought. He was giving in. I erased the last few inches between us. My mouth found his and I kissed him with all that's burning inside of me. Hoping that he'd kiss me back. My heart fluttered in contentment when he did. His hand reached for my neck, pulling me in and leaning further into the kiss. It felt so different from Kent. It felt real. It felt like I'd waited longer to kiss Cook than the years I waited for Kent.

My hands curled around his biceps. We were pulling each other in, channelling all we had into this one kiss. We were in sync. Our lips meeting our hurried past until we ran out of breath and were kissing more gentler now, as we had rediscovered the meaning of time.

Our exploration into stopping time ceased when we finally broke away. I was smiling, my head felt light headed and my heart felt more at ease than it felt for weeks.

"I've been meaning to do that since forever." Cook said, exhaling harshly. A smirk on his face. His voice was gravely, transposed to a place where it seemed he didn't allow himself to go to often.

That's a shock. Had he previously thought of kissing me when I thought of doing it just now?

"Why... Why hadn't you?"

"Because I didn't think you'd ever be interested in me."

"That's silly."

He came closer to me and he put his lips on mine this time initiating the kiss. I reached for his t-shirt.

He stopped midway. "Are you sure? I can wait. You're maybe just upset about Kent I wouldn't want to take advantage of you. I want you to want me back on your own."

"I've never been sure about anything in my life than this. I want you too."

I meant it. I wanted all of him right now.

We kissed sealing the deal and that's how I lost my virginity to the most patient boy I've come to know.