Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

I knew I had arrived when I was met with dimmed music, unquietly buzzing out the doors of Wesley's house. I rang the doorbell three times. Just in case no one inside heard the first two through the music.

A guy from the team let me in. There wasn't that many people. Not a conventional party. The question was formed: did smaller or bigger crowds frighten me the most?

No time for thinking. I pushed past the guy and went into the familiar middle room. No sight of Katy or Penelope. I messaged her.

*I'm here*

A hand reached out to me and I almost jumped. It was Penelope. She looked perfectly fine. Actually she looked great. She had put on some make up and wasn't in her gym clothes (obviously).

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" A rapid fire of questions came out of my mouth.

"Yes yes, I'm fine," she said firmly over the music.

I gave her a look like "Then?"

"It's your best friend... Katy... I don't think she's okay."

My heart clenched into my chest. "Why? What's wrong? Where is she?"

Penelope shocked her head and asked me to follow her. We took the stairs downstairs. Penelope showed me to the bathroom. Katy was sitting on the tiled floor. She was sobbing. She was wearing the skirt and tank top she bought just a few hours ago. But they were covered in... puke?

I looked over at Penelope. She nodded and smiled at me sympathetically.

"I'll be upstairs if you need me," she offered.

She left and I walked into the small washroom, closed the door, and sat parallel to Katy.

Katy had stopped crying. I reached for the box of kleenex and handed it to her. She wiped her eyes and mouth.

"What happened?" I asked calmly.

"I drank too much," she answered.

I didn't quite believe her. She didn't seem drunk to me with her eyes wide and startled like a deer caught in headlights. I wanted to ask what really happened but out of fear she'd push me away. I didn't.

I got up, grabbed the hand towel and soaked it into warm water. I asked Katy for her shirt and she removed it and I took it out of her hands. It was destroyed. It was too light of a color to resist anything beyond a small stain. I exchanged her the warm towel to clean above her bra. I did my best to scrub, soap, and clean her tank top but it was no use. Maybe there's hope if she'd bleach at home but the baby pink would fade out.

I wrung her shirt and hung it up. I took off my zipped hoodie and handed it to her. My hoodie was small. I usually didn't zip it up because of the way it clings to my body. When Katy zipped it up, it was loose. A worrying thought popped into my head. I surpassed it. I sat next to her as soon. As I did so, she collapsed into my arms. She wasn't crying. Her head pressed onto my shoulder. I was afraid she'd pass out.