Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Walking into Ashton's not so grandiose house people's stare lingered for a few seconds longer on Katy. She was splendid and made everyone else in the room seem underdressed, which was the case for some. News had gone around school about her new model status and it made people recognize me more as the best friend always hanging around her. Bottom line; it was getting harder to live in the shadows when your best friend was a star - well a model. Same difference.

The most priceless reactions are from the prettiest and wildest - not my words - girls of the party; Jane and Viana. They didn't seem as good friends as me and Katy are but they had each other's back nevertheless. Coming to these parties together and leaving together at the end of the night; that surely must mean something. I never paid attention to them but now it seems ridiculous to ignore them when they were giving us the stink eyes.

Their gazes wavered as an unrecognizable figure joined us. They were intimidated. I turned to look who it was and it was none other than Amanda.

"Hey Manda," said Katy, speaking first.

"Hey," she answered Katy while nodding to me as an acknowledgment.

I did not like her. But I honestly don't have a valid reason to hate her either, well, not anymore. Of course she hasn't done anything to me directly but her going out with Kent last year had made her imprint a bitter spot in me. I had to be a bigger person. Besides he's not with her anymore. He rejected her. And for that, I can fully sympathize with her. You could almost say we had something in common.

"What's up with V and J?" Katy asked her.

"Jealous."

Katy rolled her eyes, secretly pleased, and Amanda giggled with her. I felt a little pang in my chest. I was being ridiculous but last I checked it was my job to hate on others and laugh about it with my best friend not this stranger that has already taken someone from me before. "Ok relax," I told myself. People are not propriety. And you're overacting. That did not help the twisting gut feeling I felt each time Katy and Amanda bonded covertly together.

"So," I interrupted, my voice cracking slightly. "How about we get some drinks?" It came out more like a question than a statement. I was sub-coming to social pressure and ignored all the warning signs popping into my head.

It was Amanda who reassured me though, "Sure."

And I think she smiled at me or maybe she was smirking. I can't tell the place was getting too crowded for any distinctions.

We made our way towards the kitchen area; Katy guiding me with our hands entertained. "Definitely my best friend," said the petty voice in my head.

I watched as Amanda poured us drinks. Trying to be oblivious and passive as I creepily glanced at her; she was wearing stockings with a chic black see through blouse and extremely high black closed wedge heels making her legs look endless. She had short bright blond hair — brighter than Katy even and much shorter than Katy's too since she had a bob cut. Although her attire was leaning towards more the revealing side; the contrast with her hair and her black attire was striking and something to admire. Amanda didn't have Katy's freckles but she had greenish eyes. She was gorgeous.