Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

It was third week of December and so it was the last week of school before Christmas break. The semester will shortly end by February. Studying had been intense. I had the oral presentation due in English with Cook. Another Math and Chem test. It was weird to say Gym class was the getaway. The period of liberation. But then again in Gym class we are always supposedly evaluated for participation, effort, and enthusiasm. That last one isn't true but the amount of times coach said: "Look alive!" would make anyone think it's a criteria.

Cook and I were one of the last of the groups to present. He seemed more twitchy and nervous beside me. I thought it was maybe because people paid more attention to him. They were expecting him to mess up or say or do something that would have the class in hysterics and cheering while the teacher reprimands him. Our oral was humorous but it also was well thought out and structured and it followed every guideline.

I scribbled something quickly at the back of the cue card I was rehearsing from and dropped it on his desk. He looked down, eyebrows furrowed. He read it and I could see him already relax visibly. He smirked at me.

All I wrote is: Think of happy thoughts, like hot babes.

We made it up there, an unlikely pair, in front of class and delivered a kick-ass oral. We were dutifully applauded and even Ms. McConnell seemed impressed and wooed. I didn't take into account my own nervousness until after it was all over and I felt relief and a bit elated even.

All I had left was to get through was another horrible Math test and a Chem one. Then it was finally winter break.

***

School was out.

Katy and I were getting ready at her house for a change. Her parents seemed happy to see me and thus they did not even argue that we were going out to a party. We wore the cutest yet ugliest Christmas sweaters for the party. Katy had a small cute hot top underneath just in case she got hot. We matched our makeup to our sweaters. Green eyeshadow for me and red for her.

She drove us to Cook's house and as soon as we walked in, we were joined by Amanda and Penelope. Mark wasn't here tonight. He said he was going out with his boyfriend Lee. The girls were talking about tests when large arms wrapped themselves around my waist. The gesture was a bit rough and clumsy and that's why it caught me off guard. I turned to face a drunken Kent.

"Hello Sav," he said. He kissed me with force and I didn't even have the time to close my eyes. He did so in front of everyone, the girls giggles and some passerby called out to get a room. I was embarrassed.

I dismissed it. "How much did you drink already?"

He shrugged. "The night's young babe."

I tried not to cringe. He never called me babe. It sounded so impersonal to me. He'd know that if he wasn't wasted. He guided me to the kitchen. I don't know who was holding on more, me or him. I got to the kitchen and prepared my own juvenile drink. Some soda, some juice, and a splash of vodka. I didn't want to drink much. Not with a drunken boyfriend and most likely a drunken best friend later on. One the last parties Katy had gone to was at Wesley's before they broke up and she had fainted and Cook and I were tasked to bring her at my place. Thinking of Cook I wondered where he was? It was his house and his party after all. The kitchen was as pristine as I remembered it. I knew that if I opened the fridge or the pantry there would be stuffed with all kinds of ingredients.