Chapter Thirty-Eight

It was the Monday after Halloween and the school was already over it and over the fall. November had begun. It was time to get serious with studying. The cold was settling in, heavy warm jackets are worn and hotter drinks are consumed. I had way more coffees. I spent every waking moment working on my script for NaNoWriMo.

I was nervous to be at school. I spent most of the weekend ignoring my phone and social media; solely concentrating and planning my script. I hadn't seen or spoken to anyone since that party.

I had a feeling everyone knew I kissed Kent but that's ridiculous because it was only us two and well Cook couldn't care less so he wouldn't talk or try to blackmail me for something I'm already helping him with.

In English class, I sat next to Kent since he was saving me a seat. We didn't get to talk. Class started. He smiled at me and I knew everything was good between us. Half way through class he slipped a message on my desk:

*Are you free during lunch time?*

I didn't want to cause attention or look at him so I scribbled back a 'yes' and put the note back onto his desk.

Lunch was next period.

We gathered our stuff, headed to his locker and then mine. All the while a pounding happened in my chest. Kent said to grab my coat. Together we headed outside to take a walk on school grounds. He took my hand and made me face him. I felt like I was dying. In the best way possible.

"Sav," he started. "I have known for a while now but it didn't hit me until that day at the lake that I... really, really, like you. I can't stop thinking of you. Of an us. I'd understand if you don't feel the same but I was just wondering if you'd go out with me?"

I was so stunned. His brown eyes were boring into mine searching for an answer.

I managed. I was so happy I could explode. "I'd love to go out with you."

He squeezed me. I thought that this is what dreams are like. (Actual dreams. Not the ones I had in the beginning of September.) We were both smiling and laughing, having finally left our childhood and friendship behind for something more. He bent down and I closed the gap and we were kissing for the second time, more magical than the first.

***

Kent and I continued our walk. We were talking about my script when my phone buzzed. It was Katy looking for me. I asked Kent if he mind if she joined us but knowing the gentlemen he is, he wouldn't say no even if he did.

She joined us and the first thing she did was have her hands clasped together like you see in movies when you're not sure if a person would start praying or cheering or a combination of the two.

"No way!" she gasped. "Fucking finally!" she exclaimed.