Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-Eight

I was living in a situation where the tension was so high that you could poke it with a fire poker.

Everyone was gathered at the sofa area. Turns out Amanda could mostly get beer, which was a relief. We all had beers and we all had to go around saying our best moment of the year. It could be anything. This eliminates embarrassment as everyone has to share a moment.

"Getting into my modeling agency," Katy said first.

Everyone hooted and took a swig but envious electric bolts could be seen in both Viana and Jane's eyes, which made Katy satisfied.

Viana went next. "Got an early acceptance to Columbia University."

If this was a moment for hair flip, this was it. We all cheered. I was stunned. I was clapping louder than I was aware of. Early acceptances came sparsely even with our school's international reputation and especially not from top school's like Columbia. I think we were all a bit sunned and self-conscious about our achievements.

"I'm still the captain of the soccer team," Kent added.

We all cheered, I kissed him quickly on the cheek. I glanced at Cook, if I didn't know better I'd say he was upset. I thought he was over the soccer thing. Giving it's not his passion or main hobby.

Ashton but in, "I haven't failed Chemistry." He winked at me. I rolled my eyes, secretly pleased. My ego was stroked for sure.

Wesley spoked up, albeit shyly, his Spanish accent prominent, "I made friends in a foreign country to me."

Mark cut in shortly after we started clapping. "I came out to my parents."

Everyone's jaw dropped. If Mark's parents were to be described in two words it would be: strict and conservative. His sister once came home with a tattoo and they shunned her in the same night. She's been living on her own ever since.

I made a mental note to talk more to Mark. I wanted to support him when he needed and just be there. Sometimes I forgot that Mark dealt with a lot and usually on his own. He never asked for help but always lent his ear to you.

We all congratulated him kindly, the others were probably thinking that their parents were harsh... but not being accepted by them is our greatest fear of all.

Mark asked Jane to go next as the air was getting heavier with unspoken words. She took a small sip of her beer.

"I don't know," she said. She was confident. Even with her not knowing. We allowed her to think some more before getting back to her.

Penelope went next. "Getting my second tattoo." She motioned to her arm proudly.

Jane rolled her eyes.

"Dad's still going to kill you once he sees it," Jane singsonged.