The Ex

Chapter 8

              "Remind me again why I have decided to put myself through this stressful process?"

             With all of my mentions of school and how much I was yearning to go, it never once occurred to me that the application process was a bitch all on its own. And now, while I sat in front of Rose's laptop staring at the screen and the hundredth question I found myself answering, I realized that this right there, could be why I didn't attend college.

       "Because you want to go to school and have a willing Darcy paying for it. Plus, you shouldn't worry much, mine didn't take long at all." Rose answered, referring to her admission into the university.

            To say this whole process had been stressful would be an understatement, and now, after all of this, I still had to wait for the final answer, which, at this point, I didn't really know what that would be.

              I dropped myself on the sofa and groaned my frustration out loud to whomever would want to listen. In this case, that person was Rose. "But yours was different, you were transferring from a community college. I'm trying to get in with only a GED." I retorted, feeling already sick at the thought of it.

            And then, like many things in my life, It just dawned on me that I was competing for acceptance against people who were way more qualified than me. Where the hell did I get on thinking I was any better than them? This university was known to be very hard to get into and the competition was cutthroat.

           I was getting worked up over this and that was never a good thing. I should have just gone to a community college first, nothing was wrong with that. Rose at least knew that much and now she has what she wants.

           "Hey, stop it. Get out of this funk right now." Rose clapped her hands together to get my attention. I shook my head before directing my attention at her.

          "What?"

         "I see the face you're making and I know where that mind of yours went."

        "Maybe I won't get in, Rose. I was way over my head thinking it would be easy for me to get in one of the best school in the states." Well, there was no reason to lie to her, she knew the rest anyway and if anyone could put my mind at ease, it was definitely her.

            "Stop thinking this way. You're one of the smartest people I know." She said, which made me roll my eyes again, but I also couldn't help but smile this time around.

         "You're my friend, of course you'll say that. Your bias views don't apply here." I told her and to which she responded by shaking her head.

         She was pointing at me with a finger. "You're freaking smart, and the sooner you get that through your head, the better."

         "I gotta say though, it was pretty quick all things considered. I'm glad we got to do this, but now I have to impatiently wait for the answer." I added, lifting my phone off the table to check the time.

              Darcy, the ever so infuriating man, had done what he did best and failed to contact me for the best part of the last two weeks. But this time around, I wasn't worrying about it, it was what it was.

              No reason to worry much about something out of my control, especially since while he was nowhere in sight, I had ended up getting acquainted with two Rose's friends. It was nice to have more people in my life, and Christian and Stella definitely were a welcomed addition.