Burning Homes

Chapter 18

           My nerves, you see, were a mess by the time our plane landed at the Mobile Regional airport. Darcy hadn't said much to me the whole plane trip, which made me even more nervous than anything else when I was already doubting my wanting to know more about him.

              I wanted him to say something, or prrhaps, do something, anything to put me at ease. But everytime I would try to start a conversation or ask a question, he would shut it down with a weird look he'll send my way, or a very curt answer which didn't help anything really. The longer I was on the plane, the more uneasy I felt and I wanted to change that.

            So it was with great relief when the flight attendant informed us of the landing. Little did I know that we weren't even there yet.

            "We are here? That's your town?" I asked as I was getting off the plane.

            "No, we have to drive to Fairhope, that's where we are going." He answered behind me. I turned my head for just a second to address him while I kept walking.

           "Oh, and how far is this?"

           "About forty minutes away, give and take." He answered as he walked towards two men standing a few feet away, probably waiting for us. He shook their hands when he was standing close enough. I stood next to him.

            "Hi, Mr. Darcy. I'm Elliott and I'll be your driver today and hopefully for the duration of your trip." The man said with an easy smile on his face. He didn't look that much older than Darcy, probably two to five years older, but the years looked good on him as it accentuated the laugh lines around his eyes which were honey colored from where I stood.

            "Hi, I'm Charlotte." I said as I extended my arm towards him. He shook the hand offered and smiled back. He was soft but his brown skin looked even softer which made me want to touch him, to...pet him, really, feel his skin underneath my fingers. I heard the other man standing next to him clear his throat which brought me back to Earth, as I realized I was still holding Elliott's hand and Darcy was glaring at me.

             I smiled, a bit embarrassed as I shook the other man's hand.
"This is Steven, he's just here to make sure you arrived well and to answer any questions you might have that I wouldn't be able to answer seeing as I'm a bit new." Elliott was explaining.

            "That actually will not be necessary. I won't be needing your services much on this trip since I'll be driving us to Fairhope." Darcy told him, then started to move towards the SUV that was supposedly waiting for us.

           "Oh okay, sir, I wasn't informed of any changes made, I apologize." Elliott said walking behind Darcy and I.

            "It wasn't made until now, but no worries, you'll receive your fees as planned." Darcy told him as he opened the passenger door of the SUV for me to get in.

           "Thank you, sir, very generous of you." Elliott called out after Darcy who was walking around the car to the driver side.

            "Don't mention it." He answered as he started the car, leaving behind Elliott and his friend.

___________________

           "So, Fairhope..." I asked as a start up to a conversation I hoped he wouldn't shut down. "How is it?"

             "You'll have to wait to find out." He answered, keeping his eyes on the road. We've only been driving for the past ten minutes but with the heavy silence that was accompanying us that day, it felt like forever. I shook my head and rolled my eyes, getting annoyed by the minute.