Chapter Two: Disputes

Chapter Two:  Disputes

I went about my chores. The horse still stuck plainly in my mind. I would have to avoid the Lord to keep my temper. It wouldn't do to leave the poor beast alone and get myself evicted. Or worse. If I were being honest eviction would be optimistic outcome. I liked to think that was the only thing that kept the bastard alive.

I walked past the kennels, Gorath's hunting dogs snarled. Everything about them tensed as they lunged towards the gate. I noticed at once there was something wrong. At a second glance I swore loudly, "Rocks above!" They were crammed into a single crate, their ribs were visibly showing. Four individual crates were left empty, each deserving their own occupants. They snapped at each other unable, thankfully, to reach each others throats. They were stuck within the metal bars which was cross-hatched to keep them from gnawing loose. It's not even that they were bad dogs. The dogs were never the problem. It was the master's job to keep them from growing a mean streak. I cussed again, this time loudly, without restraint.

I had been away naught a fortnight (2 weeks) and come back to such mess. I rarely left, but when I did there was always something amiss upon my return. Tierra thought it best I get away, I had caused a ruckus and she worried.

I had my work cut out for me yet again. First I had to get them out without letting them attack me. I slid the first bolt loose the creek was shrill enough to burst my eardrums, or so it seemed. I clipped the first dogs collar round it's scrawny neck and attached a lead to it. It snapped at my knuckles catching one of them painfully. I almost let go, biting my lip. Then careful not to let the rest out I lead it through the gate to it's own kennel. It snapped and twisted wildly. It's body seemed to contort dramatically as it tried to get away. When that was done I took second dog and repeated the process. Once all of them were secured in their crates they were taken care of properly. They were fed a hearty meal, mainly from the meat scraps from the kitchen. They ate greedily. I didn't bother attempting to stifle their feeding frenzy. Any attempt would only result in my fingers becoming part of the meal.

My own belly growled, reminding me of its own need for food. I headed towards the small house I shared with Tierra. Once  inside I was greeted by Tierra's glowering face. "Must you keep on this way?"

"I choose not to naïvely follow the Lord Gorath, if that is what you refer to than yes, I must continue." It was a self-righteous statement, but I was unrelenting.

"You're a daft girl." she chastised lightly before asking the condition of the beast outside. She should've known better, but she continued anyway.

"Well naught as I feared, she may yet be able to ride again." I said hopefully. "Long as that beast of a man lay off on her when he rides I tore four barbs from his lash."

"Lord Gorath will ride as he pleases it is not to us to tell him off." She held a warning in her voice. I, as always, ignored it.

"Then who is? Tell me so that someone may." I said hotly. It was wrong to allow someone to treat any beast this way.

"Eat." Tierra demanded, there would be no more said on the subject. I said no more, neither would she. We ate in silence. The only audible noise was the clank of clay mugs being placed on the worn wood table. It was a pleasant sound, it was homey. I shoveled food into my mouth quickly to avoid any further conversation. We hadn't agreed on much since my return.

We had many disputes over Gorath. I hated the man. She was overly tolerant. Neither of us would agree, though the evidence was clear in my mind. The man was a monster.

Authors note:

What do you guys think? Can you relate to any of the characters? If you guys liked it feel free to drop a vote, or comment if anything confused you! :)

~Cas