Chapter Thirty: Trial

Today was the day. Today we would become nameless heroes, or infamous traitors.

Jase was jittery, he couldn't stand still. It was a new side to him, one I'd certainly never seen. Kal kept to himself, there was no telling what he was thinking. I wandered around aimlessly attempting to contribute. By noon Jase was at my throat, I had been getting in the way all morning. It was nearly impossible to know what I should do. Jase and Kal worked really well together, but there wasn't any room in there team for an extra cog.

The flat was full of activity. None of us could stay put for very long, Kal was in charge of sewing up the dress while Jase took care of several other loose ends. I tried on the dress too many times to count, it itched painfully, but it was less painful than the day before. I was glad when it was over. I hadn't mentioned the dream to anyone, Kal only knew I'd had one, not what it was about. The truth of the matter was: It terrified me.

"You ready?" Jase asked giving me a funny look.

"Yeah." I said trying not to sound distracted. "Is Kal coming?"

"He's going with a... an old friend."

"Good." I nodded. It was hard not to be nervous, I was glad they were going to be there; both of them. I changed for the last time into the dress, it was uncomfortable against my skin. Jase handed me yet another tea-like drink, this one was just as unpleasant tasting, but it smelled sweet. That way there was at least some pleasure in the ordeal.

"Hold still, there's one more thing we have to do before the dance." Jase said bringing out a small wooden box.

"What's that?" I hated surprises, especially on days like today, I was already nervous.

"It'll just take a second." He said bringing out a small stick of eye chalk. " Now hold still." He directed. I did, the chalk was strangely stiff, when I opened my eyes they felt ever so slightly heavier. Jase pulled out a looking glass for me. I had seen myself before, but the person I saw before me was someone else. I had changed tremendously through the months, it simple, but I appreciated it nonetheless.

"Shall we?" Jase said holding out his arm, we each held a mask. I moved as fluently as I could. It was a short walk, but something in my gut told me it would be over well before I wanted it to be.

The streets were alight with torches and candles. Jase and I stuck to the shadows, it was best that way. We headed up the main street from the small hut we'd shared for the past few days. We were both shockingly unrecognizable, the anonymity was a relief.

When we reached the palace gates Jase slipped two pieces of paper to the guard. We were in before I knew what had hit me. The palace was nothing like I remembered, besides the basic architecture, the building was completely remade.

The room held a golden tinge, it was easy to get lost in the warm feeling. Drapes caressed the corners of each striking window, tables lined with food invited even the most squeamish to enjoy it's contents. It was just as I had imagined it in my dream.

Remembering the dream sent a lurching wave of sickness to my stomach. Jase saw immediately that something was wrong. At that exact moment, Tore came walking up. I caught my breath—if he recognized me it would all be over.

"How's my favourite royal prince doing these days?" Jase launched into conversation, diverting the attention away from me.

"I'm doing well, who's your guest?" He asked looking long and hard at me. Even though I had a mask, I still felt naked and bare.