Chapter Twenty-six: Unpredictable Notions

The morning came early. Nothing could prepare me for May's leering face as she stared down at me. When I had first met her I had completely misjudged her, I realized that as she looked on. Her eyes seemed almost empty. I propped myself up on my elbow, trying to figure out what time it was. "Can I help you?" I asked trying to keep my voice low. Thomas was still asleep at the opposite side of the bed.

There was no reply.

May was the kind of woman where no reply was necessary. I slipped out from under the blanket and walked out into the hall. May followed. I made sure to keep a steady distance. "What do you need?" I said.

"You're late."

"Am I?"

"You are."

"I don't recall having anything planned." I said blandly.

"Regardless, there's someone I believe you'll be quite fond to meet." She said a hint of a smile dancing upon her lips. It was a strange sight, not one that was often displayed.

"What do you mean?" I asked furtively glancing down the hall. She was never one to say what she meant, but she did have a knack for the dramatic.

"Relax, we're going to meet them, they've been waiting for quite some time."

"I'm afraid I don't understand." I said puzzled. "Who's waiting?"

"All in due time Meriden." May said in her usual agonizing way. "Now get dressed, this is not an occasion the show up looking--well, like that."

I took no offense. I could see myself in the looking glass a little ways down the hall. My hair was tangled, my shirt was ruffled, I looked bedraggled at best. I nodded and headed for the washroom.

I washed quickly and went in search for something to wear. On my way out I ran into Riley. Her small round face was almost delicate, but her eyes reconciled that quickly. They were sharp and deep. They seemed almost out of place.

She was holding a gown. I groaned inwardly. Why?! Did I really? The thoughts skipper through my head as I took it from her. "Thank you Riley." I said politely. She was wearing a long light blue gown, her arms showed. I saw a flash of something, I assumed it was imagined. As if b instinct I grasped at her arm. There were four of them. Four neat little bruises. My heart dropped. They lined the inside of her forearm. When I touched then she winced and pulled away. They were deep and blue. I held on with two fingers, careful not to press into the bruises.

The gown fell to the floor.

The silence stretched between us. "Who did this?" I asked, my voice held steady and calm. My chest felt empty and cold.

"You have to get dressed lady Meriden." Riley said, attempting to change the subject.

"I don't care. Who did this?"

"I mustn't tell." Was all she could utter out.

"At least tell me what happened?" I said, my brow furrowed. It was obvious she didn't want to talk about it.

"I'm sorry." She shook her head. "You're going to be late." She said brightening as she changed the subject back to me again.

"Okay," I said quietly. "But if you change your mind, you know where I am." I worried.

"Good luck miss." She said scampering away.

I lent down and picked up the gown. It was light, I appreciated Riley's choice. It was a black gown with small strips of grey sewn in, it was plain, simple, and yet it had an elegance to it. I slipped it on, and tied up my hair before hurrying down to the main hall. As I walked I tugged anxiously at my gloves. May was waiting impatiently.