Chapter Thirty-three: Misunderstandings and Revenge

THREE WEEKS LATER

I sat at the small dining hall drinking a thick cup of tea. It was early, far earlier than I had planned, even still I sat quietly enjoying the last few minutes I'd have alone. The tea was bitter, but I didn't mind it was part of my daily routine. Today was different. Today I would break my routine for the first time in weeks.

I fussed with my dress, I hadn't worn one since that night. They were as uncomfortable as I remembered, but this was important.

"You made it!" I said finding the face I was looking for peeking out from the door frame.

"Wouldn't miss it." Kal said earnestly.

"I'm glad." He came and sat. "Do you want some tea?" I asked politely.

"No thanks."

"How's he doing?"

"He woke up for a few hours, they don't know what's wrong with him." Kal looked tired, his face was long and old. His black hair was disheveled, it was longer than it had been the last time we spoke.

"I'm sorry." I said felling guilty.

"He asked about you." Kal said giving me a small smile, it only made it worse.

"Jase? What'd you say?" I asked surprised.

"I asked him why he did it."

"Oh?" I asked.

"He said it was for our sister." The words sank through the air like stones.

"Did he say anything else?" I asked.

"Nothing worth repeating, he's sorry though. He didn't say it, but you can just tell." Kal paused for a second before asking, "Did he say anything to you? You know, that night?"

"It's all a blur really." I lied, I knew exactly what he had said, exactly what he had asked of me.

"Probably for the best." Kal said with a small smile.

"So why did you want to meet with me?" I asked anxiously.

"I couldn't get the last time we spoke out of my head, I was out of line—" I cut him off right there.

"We both were."

"Maybe so." Kal said continuing. "But I made the adjustments and wanted to give you this." It was the contraption from before, though the last one paled in comparison. Everything about it had changed, it was adjusted and supported perfectly. Before I could refuse Kal spoke again. "Think of it as a way of making amends."

"Thank you Kal, you didn't have to." I protested. 

"Just try it on will you." He said passing it uncomfortably.

"Alright." I said taking it. I strapped it on as I had before. It fit together much more smoothly this time. I was comforted by that. I buckled the straps attaching them securely to the belt. It was a thick rich brown leather. The hinge on the "new" leg was compiled of simplistic metal cogs and wooden supports. It bent with an unnatural stiffness. Kal came over to where I was and explained there was a lock on the side.

"It fits." I said, sounding a little too surprised.

"Try standing up." Kal suggested holding out a hand to help. I took it gratefully. At first I could only put pressure on a single leg, but as soon as Kal clicked the lock into place I found I could easily put equal pressure on both of them. It felt strange, the only sensation I could sense was mid-thigh. Kal had installed a fair amount of padding so it wouldn't dig into my leg so much.