Chapter Thirty-one: To Turn Away A Queen

The hours seemed to drag on. Thomas had come by nearly three timesin the last seven hours. No one else would come, too scared I guessed.

I found a small book lying around. It detailed every organ, muscle group, and bone in the human body. I read until my eyes burned and the words seemed to smudge against the page. A knock came at the door, food was brought. I waiting ever longer. It was as though an eternity of nothingness had sprung upon me. I tried desperately to remember ever detail of the night. Every action, every word. Though, once I reached the end of the night. I could just barely recall flashes of bright lights, outlines, faces. A rare snippet of conversation would spiral through if I pressed my brain hard enough. I hadn't the appetite for food, the thought of what I might have done drove me mad.

By the time the sun went down I had given up all hope of getting out. I was trapped, maybe forever trapped. I tried to hold onto some swatches of hope, but I couldn't stop my stomach from tingling with doubt.

"Meriden." A gruff whisper came through the door. I was overjoyed. I wasn't sure what was real, and what wasn't. In the book I had read there was something detailed about the effects of seclusion on the mind. It made you think you heard things you didn't.

"Yeah?" I called out, regardless of whether or not it was real, it was still worth a shot.

"You okay?" It wasn't Thomas. It was strangled sounding, even raw.

"Who wants to know?" I demanded, irritated. I was being toyed with.

"Who do you think?" The voice growled. Jase. There was no other human being in the world that could put that much distaste into four simple words.

"Go away! I'm fine, no thanks to you."

"No need to be grouchy." He said as irritated as I was.

"Is there a point to you being here?" I snapped. "More to the point, why would you come back?!" I was exasperated. My back was to the door. I had long since rid myself of the uncomfortable netting that was sewn into the dress. Now it draped over my legs like a wet towel.

"I never left." He said sounding confused.

"You know what they're going to do to me? After what I've done?"

"I've heard rumors." Jase said nonchalantly.

"Please," I said sarcastically, "regale me with your tales."

"Mainly execution, enslavement—" I cut him off.

"Did you come here to gloat, or do you need something more?" It was just friendlier than a starved dogs snarl. 

"Easy now." Jase said, calm as ever. "I came to get you out, you'll be fine!" He said in a tone that said 'Stop whining.' It set a spark off in my head. There was a jangling of metal against metal, most likely the lock being tampered with.

"You think you can screw everything up and then make it okay by forcing me to be a fugitive?" I shouted.

"Will you sew your mouth shut?" Jase growled. "You're going to bring in every guard from every corner of the palace!"

"Excuse me?" I was outraged. Contempt and disgust welled up inside my chest.

"I'm here to help you out, they're not going to cut you a break, and let's face it, Tore isn't gonna wake up anytime soon."

"Yeah, and it's my fault." I said bitterly. The tinkering with the locks stopped.

"What exactly do you think happened last night?" Jase asked.