Chapter 6 ***

The picture is what I would imagine Alice's tack room would look like. It is my actual tack room :)

I loaded Benji into the trailer and fastened the chains that hold the door closed, checking them several times.
I stood for a second, taking in Benji's huge height, 17.1 hands! He's going to tower over poor Bella! The truck was ready to leave the auction grounds within minutes, after we grabbed some snacks from concessions.
      "A very successful purchase, to my standards." Andy commented. I nodded. "Yeah! Benji seems to be a great addition to the family." The hour and a half commute went rather quickly again. Snowy hauled the trailer, Benji and all, onto my property and screeched to a halt.
      I unhooked the chains and backed him out of the trailer, Andy watching. Bella whinnied shrilly from her barn, wanting in on some action. Benji flared his nostrils and lifted his upper lip in a comical smile, smelling his new surroundings. We walked- no- I was dragged down to the barn by Benji.
      I put Benji in my paddock and figured out which saddle he could wear. I had around 5 and a half saddles- a half because one of them is wrecked. All my saddles are kept oiled and clean, as you don't come around the western 'cowboy' saddles often in Ireland, so getting a new one would be tricky.
      I decided that my black one, with a tan seat and small gullet would fit Benji's narrow withers perfectly. I paired it with a red and tan pad. Andrew stood at a distance, seeing how I fit the saddles to the horses. "How does one fit a saddle to a horse, I might ask?"
I grinned, "Just make sure it isn't tight around here," I explained, and gestured to his withers, "and that it stays flat on their back, even when they move." I slid the pad slowly onto Benji's broad, strong back. I then turned around and tossed the heavyish black saddle onto him. I tucked the pad into the gullet and began to fasten the cinch. After it was tight enough, I felt underneath the pad to make sure it did really fit. Success! It did.
      I dusted off an old workhorse bridle with an O-ring snaffle bit and slipped it into Benji's mouth. I then grabbed my ruby-red helmet and fastened the buckle. Taking up my reins my reins, I swung up into the saddle for a test ride. Benji plodded along quiet as can be. Perfect! I dismounted and dropped the stirrups about 7 holes. I handed the reins to Andrew. He gave me a questioning look. I ducked into my small, disorganized tack room and emerged with another helmet. I tossed it to him and he caught it. "Want to go for a ride?" He nodded, and put his foot in the stirrup and hopped up. I jogged off to grab Bella. I slipped her bridle on and sprung onto her back, without a saddle.
      Andy and I left the property and rode down the road. The afternoon was perfect for a ride. He turned to me and smiled. "Alice?" I looked over. "Yeah, Andy?" He pushed hair out of his eyes. "I have a question for you. Will you be my...Ehm... Girlfriend?" I grinned like a fool. "YESSS!"
      He patted Benji's shoulder. "Thank you for today, Alice." I loosened Bella's reins. "I should thank you. I don't know any other guy who'd do this for me."