Chapter 31 ***

Nate Ruess is going on stage now, and his band is excitedly jogging out of the curtains, pumped up for their first big gig. "Good luck!" Our band high fives each member of Grand Romantic as they head into the bright lights of the stage. "Hi! I'm Nate Ruess and this is my band, Grand Romantic!" The crowd claps and screams.
      Andrew sits on a crate and pats the spot next to him, glancing at me. "You look stunning." He whispers right into my ear. "Thank you Andy." He's wearing a grey shirt with a black jacket and grey jeans, complemented by some dressy man shoes. (Sorry I can't describe them, ok?)
      My hands are shaking and I resort to twisting a lock of my hair, a bad habit resulting in my insane amount of  split ends. Andrew gently grasps my hand. "Alice." I blush, embarrassed. He reaches to his left and grabs his tan Gibson Memphis, dubbed 'Honey' by fans, and hands it to me. "Take this." I hold the smooth and beautiful instrument. "Are you sure?" He nods.
      I play a Vance Joy song called 'Mess is Mine' quietly as Nate Ruess works through his set of songs. Andrew smiles  as I softly sing the lyrics. "We need you to play Gibby in our set sometime!" That would be fun. "Sure! I'd love to... But which song?" Andrew imitates 'The Thinker' and gives me an answer after a bit. "Someone New!" Mia nods. "She can totally take over for me sometime!" She's so sweet. "Thanks Mia!" I exclaim happily.
The crowd is clapping madly as Nate Ruess makes his exit. Sweat is streaming down his face as a result of him dancing energetically acrost the stage while singing. Andrew high-fives him as he passes us, ready to head out for the night. He waves to girls, Alex and Rory and I, and boards his tour bus. The tech crew for the venue is swarming the stage, picking up guitars, drums and hanging up the massive banner reading 'HOZIER' that we'd be performing in front of tonight.
      I mess with my hair, tucking a flyaway strand behind my ear. I have a bun in due to some light wind that would upset my hair if left to its own. The freckled cheeks of mine needed only a light dusting of blush today, and some under-eye concealer was a must. My usual low-key cat eye eyeliner is present as well.
      Andrew is so excited that he's shaking and nervously running his hands through his hair. "Holy sh*t, ho-ly sh*t, that's a big crowd out there!" He reports after peeking out of a curtain. He's handed a cup of tea by a tech guy who happened to be passing by. "Wow, Alice! These Nebraska folks are great!" He excitedly sips tea like a child as I giggle.
      I peek at my phone aimlessly to see I have 10 missed calls from Maeve. Andrew tugs on my sleeve. "Alice! We're going on!" It'll have to wait. The crowd howls as Andrew appears on stage.
We run through the whole set and encore, but I'm only half there, mostly occupied with thoughts about Maeve's peculiarly large amount of calls. After we bow together, I dash off stage to my phone. I dial Maeve's number haphazardly and hit call. A sobbing, frantic Maeve answers. "Oh my god Alice... I'm so damn sorry..." My skin goes white. "... What is it, Maeve?" She takes a deep breath, sniffling.
      "Alice, Bella colicked last night. I found her this morning..." I nearly faint upon hearing the horrible news. "Alice?" Andrew parts through a crowd of people, finally reaching me. "What is it?" I'm too stunned to even talk. I have just lost my best friend. In between sobs, Maeve tells Andrew what happened. I'm honestly such a mess I can't even speak.
      "Is there... Anything I can do...?" He softly says. "Andy... I just... Think I need to go back to Ireland for a few days..." He nods. "We'll tell your folks and then get you on the next flight out."