Chapter 27 ***

Hello all! Lanie here :) As always, thank you so so so much for reading and voting on my stories ❤️ it really means the world to me! If any of you ever need anything please please message me. I care about all of you. Enjoy, lovelies!
***There will be mild swearing in this chapter. Just a heads up ;)

       Andrew warms my heart with his sweet gestures. After putting my phone away, I look at myself in the mirror to find I have acquired some wicked cat eye eyeliner. "Dang." My stylist giggles at my comment. When I try to do cat-eyes it looks more like squid arms. After staring at myself, I pick my phone up off the counter in front of me. I text my mother.

Alice-
Hi mom! I will be in Nebraska soon. Are you coming to our show?

Mom-
I wouldn't miss it for the world. As for your father... He's jumping out of his skin to go! We're so in!

Alice-
Thanks guys! Love you!

By now, my stylist is done with hair and makeup and I must say I look hella fab! I slip on the black dress that the girls made my buy and some black lacy Keds. I meet Andrew right as the opening band is done performing. I hug him from behind and he jumps, startled, but then relaxes and hugs me back. His manager puts a cup of tea into his hand and he thanks her.
      He pets my hair. "Are you ready for tonight? I'm nearly shaking! I can't wait!" I nod. "I'm excited for sure. What's our set look like?" He hands me a crumpled white paper from deeeeep in his flannel shirt's pocket. I study the list. Yassss Blackbird! We're doing our cover of the Beatles' song, Blackbird.
      The opening band, a fellow named James Bay and his group, exit the stage. He brightly remarks in his English accent "They're so ready for you! Break a leg.", and pats Andrew on the back. I had been watching James's performance and high-five him. "James, you were amazing tonight!" He grins. "And you might be... Alice, right?" I smile and nod. Andrew turns around and hollers, softly, "Alice! We're going on!" I apologize to James for having to go so soon but he promises to meet me after our set.
      Andrew waves to the masses of cheering people and resumes his spot in center-stage, on his trademark red-patterned carpet. "Hello, Austin! How is everyone tonight?" This triggers a loud squeal from the whole crowd. He grins and takes a quick sip of tea before tapping a control panel with this toe. He picks up his guitar and strums out 'Like Real People Do'.
He looks up from his guitar and back at me when he sings the lyrics: "we should just kiss like real people do." I grin and the crowd goes wild. Andrew smiles and continues strumming out the chords and backs up a step.
He next plays Jackie and Wilson, my personal favorite. During the chorus, Andrew gets up on his toes and bounces a few times. He's already so tall, but this signature move of his makes him look like a giant. At the end of the song, he comments into the microphone about his hair overtaking his face. Andrew pulls a rubber band off his wrist and gathers his hair up into a man-bun. At this, all the girls in the crowd scream, delighted and I realize how gosh darn lucky I am to have Andrew.
The rest of the songs are a blur as we make it through them in record time. Andrew's most popular song, 'Take Me To Church' is the last song in our set, before the encore of course. Andrew looks over at Mia, who starts playing the keyboard in the intro. The crowd screams and, if it wasn't for the earplugs the whole band wears, we'd have hearing loss. Andrew smiles as Murt, Andrew's guitar tech, hands him 'Mr. Glitters', a Gretsch 5265 Jet Baritone.
When 'Take Me To Church' is done, the whole band gathers in the middle of the stage for our final bow, and with a friendly wave to the crowd, we head backstage and wait for a couple minutes for the encore. Andrew grabs up his Gibson guitar affectionately named 'Honey' by his fans. He smiles at me, and James Bay, who's sitting on some crates looking at his phone.
      Andrew resumes his place at the microphone. "Should we play another couple songs?" He asks. The audience roars. He introduces our cover of Ariana Grande's song 'Problem'. "During practice, we usually take time to sing just a fun song to unwind. This next one, well Ehm... It isn't actually one of mine... But it's a fun song you might recognize... I hope you enjoy it." With a quick grin, we start the encore. Two more...
      The encore went really fast tonight, and we only have the meet and greet left before we hit the road for Houston, Texas. An excited horde of fans is waiting to be let into backstage. Rory widens his eyes. "This is fixing to be a wild crew..." Alex nods his agreement. Andrew is holding my hand and he lets go before we get too close to the fans.
      The security guards let the fans in a few at a time. "OMG Hozier! HimynameisLillianandI'msoexcitedtomeetyou!" A fan squeals out quickly before her face flushes deep pink in color. Andrew chuckles and asks the girl if she wants a picture with him. She nods excitedly. "Thankyousomuch!" She exclaims as she trots off.
      A drunk young woman stumbles up to to Andrew and he glances back at me nervously, knowing of my past experiences with drunk idiots. He politely greets the lady. "Hi! I'm Hozier. What's your name?" She takes out a flask from her pocket and chugs some of its contents. "The name's Isabelle. Who's that girl next to you?" She gestures at me. Andrew  just politely smiles. "This is Alice. She's one of my backing singers."
      She looks unsatisfied with this answer. "Isn't she your... Girlfriend or something?" Andrew nods. "Humph..." Andy shifts uncomfortably. "Is there a problem? Are you ok?" She squints at him. "No... Just wondering why the hell you'd date her and not me..." He motions for security to watch and make sure nothing goes aria like last time. The girl, whose name is apparently Isabelle, crosses her arms. "Alice and I are both from Wicklow, Ireland. We've known each other for some time... And she's... Really, Ehm... special to me..."
Security ushers her out and makes room for the rest of the fans. Thankfully, James shows up in time to see the last few with us. "You were brilliant out there!" He remarks to the band. "You're so sweet, James! Thank you!" His British accent is adorable. The venue is super cold by this time of night, nearly 2 am, so I put on one of my t-shirts over my dress. It's a Lord Huron one and it says 'Lonesome Dreams' on it. James grins and compliments it.
I smile and thank him, he literally has the best t-shirts all the time. Andrew finds his way over carrying Gibby. He plops down on a crate next to mine and hands Gibby to me. I hug him. "Thanks Andy." James reaches to a nearby guitar stand and picks up his red Broadway guitar. "Shall we have a jam session?" Andy and I nod. He grabs his black Fender Stratocaster that, in a way, reminds me of my own Fender at home.
We plug into amps and play various songs, some Tom Waits and some newer artists like X Ambassadors. It's nearly 4 AM before we get out of the venue, but holy sh*t that was fun. Andrew and I gather up guitars and stuff, say farewell to James, and board the bus. The road is long and the trip takes ages, but that's touring.