Skin Pt.2

"Hey." Dean came up behind Sam.

Sam turned around as he was looking around for any hints

"Remember when I said this wasn't our kind of problem?"

"Yeah," Sam replied

"Definitely our kind of problem?"

"What'd you find out?"

"Well, I just talked to the patrolman who was first on the scene, heard this guy, Alex's story. Apparently, the dude was driving home from a business trip when his wife was attacked,"

"So, he was two places at once,"

"Exactly. Then he sees himself in the house, police think he's a nutjob,"

"Two dark doubles attacking loved ones in exactly the same way."

"Could be the same thing doin' it, too,"

"Shapeshifter?" Sam thought "Something that can make itself look like anyone?"

Dean looked up at his brother "Every culture in the world has shapeshifter lore. You know, legends of creatures who can transform themselves into animals or other men,"

"Right, skinwalkers..." Sam cringed before saying it "werewolves,"

"We've got two attacks within blocks of each other. I'm guessing we've got a shapeshifter prowling the neighborhood."

"Let me ask you this in all this shapeshifter lore, can any of them fly?"

"Not that I know of,"

Sam showed him what he found "I picked up a trail here. Someone ran out the back of this building and headed off this way,"

"Just like your friend's house,"

"Yeah. And, just like at Zack's house, the trail suddenly ends. I mean, whatever it is just disappeared."

Dean looked down and saw the man-hole cover "Well, there's another way to go down," The boys quickly grabbed flashlights and climbed down the manhole and looked around.

"I bet this runs right by Zack's house, too. The shapeshifter could be using the sewer system to get around," Sam suggested

"I think you're right. Look at this," they looked at a pile of blood and skin.

"Is this from his victims?"

Dean held up some of the skin with his pocket knife "You know, I just had a sick thought. When the shapeshifter changes shape-maybe it sheds,"

"That is sick,"

Dean put the bloody pile back on the ground only to take notice of a familiar cellphone next to the pile of skin.

"Dean?" Sam asked in confusion as his older brother took out his own cellphone and dialed a number, the mystery cellphone began to ring lighting up with Dean's name. Even Sam couldn't help but pale as he realized what this meant.

"Come on," Dean ordered as they headed back up to the Impala where Dean grabbed some weapons. "Well, one thing I learned from Dad, is that no matter what kind of shapeshifter it is, there's one sure way to kill it,"

"Silver bullet to the heart," Sam stated and looked to his brother "Does Selina, know that,"

"Yeah. Dad nearly got her when they first met, but I stopped him."

"Dean we're going to get her back," Sam said.

Dean only ignored him as he slammed the trunk closed and loaded his gun.

Sam's phone rang "This is Sam,"

"Where are you?" Rebecca asked

"We're near Zack's, we're just checking some things out,"

"Well, look, Sam, just stop, 'cause I really don't need your help anymore,"

Sam looked confused "What are you talkin' about?"

"I told the lawyers that we went to the crime scene,"

Sam scoffed "Why would you do that?"

"Well, I told them that we were with a police officer. And they checked it out, and they told me there is no Detective Dean Winchester,"

"Bec..."

Rebecca stopped him "No, I don't understand why you would lie to me about something like that,"

"We're trying to help,"

"Oh, trying to help? Do you realize that that was a sealed crime scene? This could have just ruined Zack's case,"

"Bec, I'm sorry, but..."

"No, goodbye, Sam," Rebecca hung up and Sam looked disappointed.

"I hate to say it, but that's exactly what I'm talkin' about. You lie to your friends because if they knew the real you, they'd be freaked. It's just-it'd be easier if-"

"If I was like you,"

"Hey, man, like it or not, we are not like other people. But I'll tell you one thing. This whole gig-it ain't without perks," Dean handed Sam a gun "Now let's go get our sister,"

***

"I think we're close to its lair," Dean said as he and Sam were looking around with their flashlights and guns.

"Why do you say that? Sam asked

"Because there's another puke-inducing pile next to your face,"

"Oh, God!" Sam shrieked

Dean found a pile of clothes in a corner "Looks like it's lived here for a while,"

"Who knows how many murders he's gotten away with?" Sam turned and saw the shapeshifter in the Asian's form standing behind Dean "Dean!"

Dean turned but was punched by the shapeshifter.

The shapeshifter ran as Sam fired but missed, Sam moved to check on Dean

"Get the son of a bitch!" Dean ordered

"Selina?" Sam asked

Dean sighed "It'll be better to get her once we know for sure the shapeshifter's dead so we don't get tricked,"

Sam nodded as they headed up to the street. "Alright, let's split up,"

"Alright, I'll meet you around the other side," Dean told him.

"Alright." Sam kept walking until he reached the street corner and turned as Dean came behind him.

"Hey. Anything?" Dean asked

Sam shook his head "No. He's gone,"

"Alright, let's get back to the car," Sam crossed the street unbeknownst that who he was with, wasn't Dean.