[4] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 4:

I practiced until the council meeting was called. They had even pulled two more chairs into the circle so that Zena and I could sit to. Very nice of them really, thoughtful.

Zena and I sat down – and waited for Elrond to start talking. It didn’t take very long – and he talked and talked and talked, - it’s quite a talent really – being able to talk that much for that long.

I listened while he talked about politics, the missing dwarves, and the rising Sauron. I really started to listen when he explained about Zena and I. The council listened aptly, and they didn’t make a sound.

Finally after Elrond was finished Boromir chuckled.

“You don’t really believe this do you?”

Elrond looked at him with one eyebrow raised, “As a matter of fact I do.”

Boromir shrugged his shoulders,

“Fine. But I don’t. They are probably weird chicks from Rohan or something.”

I don’t like to be called a ‘chick’, I don’t like to be called ‘weird’ and I am NOT from Rohan! I didn’t even like Rohan!

So I got out of my seat and stomped over to him scowling right into his face, then I said,

“I am willing to bet, that you cut your finger on Ilsidur’s sword, didn’t you? And then you put it back on the table, only to have it drop to the floor as you said, ‘But no more then a broken heirloom.’ Am I correct?”

Boromir looked at me, and then laughed.

‘You know what? You are pretty tough! We could use in the Gondorian army. Are you thinking of joining up?”

“I thought I was just the weird chick from Rohan, wasn’t I?”

I am not a forgive and forget person, maybe a ‘Forgive-after-a-really-long-time-but-never-forget’ person, but I couldn’t help it. I actually laughed! His laughter was contagious! Arg.

After my little ‘display’ no one else questioned us. Finally we got to the part about the ring.

Boromir stared at it – and looked at Elrond. “Why don’t we use this ring?”

‘Great,’ I thought to myself, ‘This sounds familiar.’

“You can’t.” – I told him sharply. “I know that you want to defend Gondor – but it will have to be done with out the ring! The thing is evil! It corrupts who ever holds it!”

He looked thoughtful for a moment and then spoke again.

“Those girls could help us win the battle against Sauron! For they will know what he is doing! Long has my father kept your lands safe – by the blood of our people!”

I cut in again, “Look. Because we are here it has changed you whole timeline! Sauron could change where his troops are in the blink of an eye!”

Ooops. No pun intended there.

Boromir looked at Elrond, “Let us use this gift, and defeat Mordor!”

I yelled over him, “Look – IT WON’T WORK!”

Elrond silenced the yelling match with his hand.

‘The ring must be destroyed. One of you must do this”.

No one in the crowd volunteered. I kept my mouth shut this time though – I knew Frodo needed to volunteer.

Soon Gimli (the Dwarf) was arguing with Legolas (the elf) and a huge yelling match was started. Boromir was yelling at Elrond that if they just saw what a gift the ring was, then we could defeat Sauron. I yelled right back – that the ring would be really nice – if we could use it!

Over the din, I heard a small voice call,

“I will take it! I will take the ring to Mordor.”

Everyone turned around and looked at him, shocked.

Frodo stood behind everyone, “Though I do not know the way”.

I rubbed my temples, why do they say the same thing? It is irritating! If this keeps up I will be able to tell what is going on in the conversations by merely glancing around myself.

Gandalf then volunteered to help him, followed by Aragorn, then Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, then Sam as he jumped out of the bushes. Merry and Pippin ran down the stairs and joined as well.

Elrond opened his mouth to speak, but I lunged forward as well.

“I am going as well.”

‘Me to!” – Zena said getting to her feet.

Boromir shook his head, “Oh-no your not! It is to dangerous for girls!”

I whipped my sword up to his neck in half a second.

Elrond gestured for me to drop it back down, as he said,

“You shall be, the Fellowship of the……” – he trailed off while the others looked at him expectantly.

“Ring! Fellowship of the Ring!” – I whispered.

“You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring” – he concluded.

And that was the end of the council meeting.