[23] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 23:

I stared in horror as the bridge cracked, and I felt myself start to drop. Gandalf was bent over panting for breath, but I tried to drag him along anyway.

“Come on!” – I yelled, almost hysterical, trying to get off the cracking bridge.

Suddenly I stopped moving, the bridge gave a sickening ’CRACK’ and I could see it disappearing above my head.

Someone grabbed my arm though, and I swung forward, cracking my head against the end of the bridge.

I held onto Gandalf’s arm with all my might, not wanting to drop him.

I looked up to see Boromir holding onto the end of my arm.

“Don’t let go!” – Boromir told me, in between his clenched teeth.

“Let go of what? Your that one who has my arm! Don’t you let go!” – I told him, while I looked down at Gandalf.

He had an odd expression on his face, and I felt his grasp loosing from my grasp.

“Hold on tight!” – I told him, “Boromir will pull us up!”

Gandalf looked up at me and asked, “Did I drop in your time?”

I scrunched up my eyebrows, and answered, “Yes.”

“Then the timeline I must preserve,” – he told me.

I looked down at him, confused.

Suddenly I felt Gandalf slip from my grasp, his last words were as he disappeared down into the blackness were,

“Fly you fools!”

Boromir tried to pull me over the edge, but I was flailing around so much that Legolas had to come and help to. I don’t remember much of it, though I do know that I was cussing so loudly (and badly) that I couldn’t hear what the others were telling me.

Frodo started to scream, and Boromir had to pick him up and carry him out.

“We have to go!” – Boromir bellowed, and arrows started to stab into the ground around us, from the Orcs that were now trying to cross the bridge behind us. I pulled out my sword to charge them, but Zena and Legolas grabbed my arms, pulling me towards the exit, so they dragged me but I was in a sort of trance, cursing Gandalf to hell and back again. No pun intended.

What did the guy think that he was pulling? I had rescued him! And he needed to let go – to do what? Preserve the timeline? The fool! How does he not know that his surviving could have helped the timeline? 

By the time we got out side I was murderous. I wasn’t crying like most of the others, but I was trying to run back into the tunnel.

Boromir had let go of Frodo, who was sobbing silently, and was now trying to stop me from running back into the mine.

I wanted to go back, and disembowel every single one of those Orcs.

I struggled against Boromir’s grasp, and the ring started to talk again.

‘See! See! He is holding you back! Always trying to stop you from doing what you want!’ – the voice sneered at me.

I was to upset/mad/emotionally drained to respond though, and I sunk to the ground.

“All my fault.” – I mumbled. “All my fault!”

Boromir sat on the ground beside me, “It wasn’t your fault. Gandalf made a choice, to help the Fellowship!”

I buried my head in my arms, “Dropped him! Dead!” – I let out a muffled sob, and then clamped a hand over my mouth, trying to muffle the sound of my crying.