[9] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 9:

Aragorn couldn’t get a fire going no matter how hard he tried. Gandalf finally had to lean over, and start in himself. The tents were waterproof luckily, so we set them up. We had to have supper though – and a fire can’t go inside a tent. Meaning: We had to sit in the pouring rain while supper warmed up. The fire went out four times! Four times! It took almost two hours to warm up a pot of soup! When the soup was finally ready we were all huddled together on the log. We gratefully excepted our bowls of soup. I drank mine in about two gulps, and looked hopefully towards the pot on the fire. Gandalf decided that because it was so rainy, and terrible, that he would allow us to have a second bowl. The hobbits trampled on each other in their hurry to get to the soup pot.

After we had all had seconds, the hobbits started to sing! They stood hand in hand, and they started to sing! To sing-sing-sing!

“Rain doesn’t dampen our spirits, because the sun is above, the clouds that hover over our heads! We are hobbits and we are proud of the weather! No weather can dampen our spirits because we remember! We remember – “ at this point the song ended because I hit each of them over the head with a ladle.

Aragorn ran over to check them over. “You knocked them out!” – he told me accusingly.

“No, the ladle simply helped them go to sleep!” – I told him, grinning.

Boromir caught my eye, and his mouth turned up into a grin. And what a nice mouth it was.

WHAT!?! Forget I just said that. The rain must be altering my thoughts, or maybe it was the mushrooms. Of course it was the mushrooms! Hallucinogenic mushrooms, for sure!

After supper we went into our tents. I was sharing with Zena, the hobbits were all sharing one. Gandalf had his own, Legolas was sharing with Gimli, and Aragorn with Boromir.

“I can’t believe that we are really here!” – Zena told me, as she put a pair of dry clothes on.

I nodded my head as I rolled out my bed mat, and the blankets.

“Legolas is amazing! He is way better then the books, or movie said! He is helping me with my bow!”

“Like I didn’t notice,” – I muttered quietly.

“How are you getting along with Boromir?” – she asked me.

Okay. Cat’s out of the bag now. Boromir was my favourite character. That doesn’t mean anything though! So don’t get any ideas! He is irritating……

“Erm. Fine.” – I told her.

She then went on to tell me all about the proper way to hold a bow, and that she had been doing it wrong for years! I finally buried my head under my pillow – just to make her be quiet.

The next morning the rain was still pouring down, so we added more layers to our outfits, and ventured back out into the storm. We couldn’t get the fire going, so we skipped breakfast, and continued to move.

The rain didn’t let up the entire day, and the mud sprayed up from our horses hooves, and covered our faces. We looked like creatures of doom. It was horrid! Our clothes were plastered to us, and we could barely open our eyes from the pelting rain and spraying mud.