[8] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 8:

Zena ran to the edge and stuck her toe in.

“It’s warm!” – she called back to us.

The hobbits ran screaming into the water.

Soon everyone was pulling off their outer tunics, and diving in. I took off my leather outer protective vesty-thing, and then my inner leather top, though I left the leather shirt under that on. I set out my blanket, which I could use as a towel, and one of my spare bottoms. Then I went and dove into the water. I didn’t realize how much I missed the feel of the pool, or even the lake for that matter! I did a flip under the water and swam out farther. Nothing could contain my excitement for the water. I flipped, twisted, swirled, and spun through the water. After a while I calmed down and little, and dived to the bottom. The wet leather clothes weighed me down, but I didn’t mind – I simply adjusted my swimming strokes, and continued.

The others got out of the water after a while, and suntanned on the beach, but I didn’t. I didn’t like sun tanning.

 We stayed there for pretty much the whole day, and the others were getting supper ready when I finally hauled myself out of the water.

I sloshed up the beach and plunked myself onto one of the logs that they had pulled up around the fire.

I sat in a dripping puddle, until Gandalf asked if I wanted to go change.

I said yes, so he said that they would wait to serve supper until I got back. I said it was fine, and it would only take me a moment.

I grabbed my stuff and went into the forest. I was quick, and in less than five minutes (longer than usual for me – but have you ever tried to pull off wet leather?). The others were already eating when I got back, which was fine with me. I grabbed a plate and went over to a (dry) log.

I was eating guess what? Yep! Lembas bread, sausage, bacon, and mushrooms. Yum! (Note the sarcasm, please). The others weren’t to thrilled with it, either. And we had another month ahead of us before we even got to the gap of something-er-other. Great.

I stared up into the sky and pretended not to know what I was eating. Remembering spaghetti, cheese, and other delicious foods. If I did that I couldn’t taste the mushrooms while I ate them.

The rest of the evening was uneventful, and I finally got a good sleep – as I wasn’t on guard one or two. Yah!

In the morning, we got to sleep in before we had to move. After I rolled up my bed kit, Pippin hopped over to me.

“Here! Let me take that!” – he told me.

I was slightly suspicious – I mean who wouldn’t be? But I was just about to hand him the bundle when Boromir walked over and grabbed it from me.

“Here let me do that!” – Boromir said.

“Pippin was about to do that, Boromir” – I told him.

“Ur. Well.” – Boromir grumbled, then said, “He is too short to reach the horse! He could never have got the bag on the horse.”

Pippin looked crestfallen, but I told him he could get tomorrow’s bag. He cheered up at that.