[5] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 5:

After the meeting Elrond made sure that we all had horses, and equipment that we needed.

I didn’t ask for much, some food, a horse, and a shield. There, I was packed.

The hobbits packed, and repacked, and repacked until Aragorn threatened to take everything away. They finished with in ten minutes.

After that everyone said ‘Goodnight’ and headed to their rooms for a good sleep. I can’t say that I got a good sleep, because I didn’t. I was to worried about the upcoming trip. What if they failed because we had shown up? I chided myself – I couldn’t think like that. They would succeed BECAUSE we were here. I dozed off after a while, but it was fitful. I welcomed the sunlight at dawn as an excuse to get up. I was already dressed, having slept in them through the night.

I washed my face, and re-spiked my short haircut. It was the best I could do with my appearance.

Aragorn was already up when I made it to the courtyard. His horse was already loaded with a few bags, and anxious to go. I made sure that my horse was ready to go – and then loaded my one bag.

Aragorn and I didn’t exchange any words while we were getting ready. We had a long enough journey ahead of our selves – why waste talk now?

In an hour everyone was packed, and on their horses. Elrond and Arwen came to see us off, as well as some other elves.

They watched as we rode out the gate, and into the distance.

I didn’t say anything, but Zena did. She talked to Legolas all about our world, her art, and pretty much everything else. Legolas nodded, and asked questions, and soon was telling Zena all about Mirkwood (where he comes from). They chatted, and chatted, and chatted – until everyone’s ears were about to bleed.

Finally Gimli roared, “Be silent young-un’s! I can’t hear myself think!”

Legolas and Zena did not be quiet though – and continued to yatter until Aragorn threatened to send them back. They clammed up.

We rode in silence for a short time until Gandalf pulled his horse to a stop, and gestured for the others to do so to.

The echo of the horses hooves finally quieted, but Gandalf listened. I couldn’t hear anything, and I don’t think the others could either from the looks of intense concentration on their faces.

Finally Gandalf clicked his tongue for his horse to get going again.

“We must go on – we can not hover around here.”

And that was that. We rode, and rode, and then rode some more for good measure. We rode so much that I felt like I had no tailbone by the time we stopped.

We set up camp for the night. It was a small camp, nothing fancy – with a small fire in the middle. We cooked some sausages, and bacon over it.

“A finer meal could not be found in the shire – eh, Merry?” – Pippin asked, when the meal was done.

“None that bring any memories – anyway, Pippin” – Merry replied while he set the sausages back in the leather packs.

Pippin got to his feet and pulled a pipe, and some pipe weed out of his pack.

He used and ember of the smoldering fire to light it, and sat back contentedly against one of the huge boulders around the campsite.

Smoke trailed lazily around his head as he puffed away on the pipe.

I watched him smoke for a few minutes until he leaned forward off the rock, and took the pipe from his mouth.

“Would you like a go?” – he asked me politely, holding the pipe up.

I was just about to say that I don’t smoke, when Boromir cut in.

“Ladies don’t smoke – Pippin.”

I snatched the pipe from Pippin’s hand much to Boromir’s surprise. Teach him for telling me what I can’t do!

Now – I will admit it. I have smoked before – but never in a pipe. I actually have smoked more cigars, then cigarettes – as funny as that may seem. The pipe was nice though – and Pippin got himself another one from his bag.

He offered it to Boromir who opened his mouth – when I cut in.

“People of Gondor don’t smoke – Pippin” – I told him – using Boromir’s words right back at him.

He then snatched the pipe from Pippin’s hand and started to puff away as well.

I made a huge circle of smoke, and blew it into the air calmly – enjoying the breeze that whistled through the camping area.

Boromir blew a circle of smoke that was slightly bigger than my own circle of smoke into the air.

I couldn’t let him beat me! I blew a slightly larger ring of smoke into the air. Yes, I know that this is childish, but I couldn’t help it. He was just so irritating!

Boromir raised an eyebrow at my ring of smoke and blew another one – just a tiny bit bigger than the last.

And so it went – for half an hour! Finally the others came back and looked in shock at the camping area. It was filled with smoke – and smoke clouds continued to blossom out of the center area.

Gandalf rode into the middle, and looked down at us in shock. He blew a smoke ship that bobbed threw the rings of smoke and came to rest in front of us. The smoke ship turned sideways so we could both see the sides, and then fired a cannonball at both of us! The cannonballs hit us in our foreheads, and we dropped the pipes covering our faces.

“There! I hope that stops such childish behavior!” – Gandalf told us. “Fools! The smoke is a clear signal to any creatures that might be roaming around now! We must pack up and move on.”