[16] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 16:

I covered my eyes with my hands. That idiot! That fluff brained, stupid – stupid Hobbit! Dumb-Dumb-Dumb! I wanted to throttle him, but I couldn’t do that, for if I did, who would carry the ring? Boromir and I had already shown how adequate we were with it! I think not.

I saw Gandalf’s face twitch (more then once) at Frodo’s words, but he couldn’t contradict the ring barer, no matter how wise or old he was.

So, we had to turn around, and march all the way back down the mountain. I swear I would have thrown that stupid Hobbit right over the edge! With out the influence of the ring!

As we got closer to the bottom of the mountain, it began to warm up again, and soon the frost and ice that clung to our clothes was melting off. The only problem was – yep, you got it! We were soaking wet when we finally got to the bottom!

Gandalf gave us all some time to dry off though, and change our clothes.

We ate a bite, of Lembas bread each, while we marched, and by night fall we reached (where Gandalf said) was the door to the mountain.

The sky was filled with clouds, and the full moon would appear for a moment, only to disappear again behind the next cloud.

Gandalf went along the mountain, tapping one part and then the next, with his eyes squinted.

Finally he stopped, and traced one old bent hand over a certain part of the mountain.

“It can only be reflected by moonlight” – he explained looking up to the sky.

I didn’t catch what he said that stuff was called though. Magic moon reflector rock?  I don’t know.

The cloud blew past, almost as though Gandalf had willed it to.

An area on the mountain began to glow, and soon we could see the outline of a door on the mountain side.

At the top of the door I could see some weird blue squiggles.

Gandalf read, “Speak, friend and enter!”

Sure I know how to get through the door, and I should have just said, “Mellon” and got the door to open, but I was a teeny bit busy.

I saw Pippin pick up a rock, and I remembered what was lurking in the waters.

“No! Pippin!” – I hollered, and tackled him over, knocking the rock from his hand.

It rolled harmlessly and landed on the shore, inches from the water.

Pippin looked shocked, so I explained why I bowled him over, with no warning.

“There is some sort of mutant squid in that water!” – I whispered, and Pippin’s eyes grew bigger in fright.

I helped him to his feet, and he and the other Hobbits glued themselves to the mountain wall, keeping far from the waters edge.

“Mellon!” – I told the wall, and it swung open. Gandalf and Frodo looked surprised, but got to their feet, as the others all filed into the mine, behind me.

Gandalf blew on his staff/wand (I think that I will simply call is a wtaff, from now on), and created a light so that we could see where we were going.

The whole place was littered with the skeletons of Dwarves, they were all over the floor – the stairs, and every other open space that was available.

Gimli blinked his eyes, once, twice, and then howled, “NO!” – and ran from the mine, back onto the beach.

He waited until he was done crying before he looked up at me.