[10] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 10:

“Ow,” I moaned as I opened my eyes. I wasn’t cold anymore at least, but I was sore. My feet ached, and my head ached, and well to skip the monologue, everything pretty much ached. I sat up and looked around. I was in a tent that was for sure, but what happened.

I thought hard. All I remembered was seeing the Hobbits fall down, and then falling myself. I really hoped that I hadn’t fallen into the Realm of Dreams again, because I didn’t think that I had enough mental energy to get out. I looked down beside me, and was so shocked that I rolled out of bed. Boromir was sleeping right beside me on the bedroll! Yes I know I said bed – but it is a bedroll. K?

I picked myself off the floor and went to the tent opening. The sun was shining, but as far as I could tell it was real. Boromir blinked and opened his eyes.

“How did you get over there?” – he asked me, surprised.

“I woke up and walked.” – I told him in a ‘duh’ sounding voice. “You were asleep.” – I frowned at him. “Also I usually have people ask permission before they can sleep beside me.”

Boromir looked thoughtful – “Well I didn’t mean to fall asle-“ he broke off, “You mean you have other people sleeping beside you?”

“No!” – I answered, “But if I did then I would have them ask first!”

“I care not!” -  Boromir told me, getting off the bedroll. “And I was NOT sleeping beside you – I simply fell asleep beside you. There is a difference.”

I just snorted at him.

“You should be nicer to someone who carried you all that way!” – he told me annoyed.

“Why?” – I asked surprised, being nice wasn’t in my nature.

“Because I could have left you there!” – Boromir grumbled.

“Well, thank you,” -  I told him – then I put on a fake announcer voice, “We now can call you Mr. Gondor!” – I started to laugh at Boromir’s expression.

“Who is Mr. Gondor?” – he questioned me.

“Don’t worry about it.” – I told him laughingly. “Where are the others?”

Boromir pointed out the tent flap – “Out there somewhere.”

Well that was definite. I could have guessed as much.

“How long was I out?”- I questioned him.

“What’s ‘out’?” – he asked confused.

“How many days was I unconscious?” – I asked him, reforming the sentence. I forgot that they don’t use all the modern expressions that we did.

He counted days on his finger. “About three days.”

“What were you doing there?” – I asked, pointing to the space beside the bedroll where I supposed he had been sitting before he fell asleep.

“I was waiting for you to regain consciousness” – he explained. “The others thought that I should remain here while they surveyed the land.” – he frowned. “I think that I should have gone with them. I would have been a good asset to their team. I am from Gondor after all.”

I rolled my eyes as I looked around for my boots. “I now introduce Mr. Macho” – I muttered to myself.

Boromir looked up. “Who is this Mr. Macho that you speak of? Is he your husband?”

I managed to keep a straight face, and replied, “No. But he is keeping an annoyingly close eye on me for some strange reason.”

Boromir looked puzzled, “I can assure you that there was no one but me here the whole time.”

I couldn’t contain a snort. I mean – he still didn’t get it?

I explained the whole thing to him, and then he nodded.

“You understand now?” – I asked him.

“Yes, it was what I thought anyway.” – he replied.

OOOOh! That little! He won’t even admit that he didn’t know what I was talking about! Can anything (other than the Hobbits, and Aragorn) be more annoying then him? I sincerely doubt it.

After I found my boots, (which were by the tent flap) I headed out to find some food. The horses were long gone Boromir told me – so we would have to walk the rest of the way. I found my pack, and pulled out a chunk of Lembas bread. Remember – one bite of Lembas bread can fill a grown man. So I needed two. ;)

After my (not) satisfying breakfast, I helped Boromir take down the tents. For some reason or another he wouldn’t look or talk to me – so I just gave up after a while – and we worked in silence. The others got back in about an hour – and when they did Zena tackled me.

“Wow! I didn’t think that you would wake up! Gandalf says that the reason you passed out was because you used up to much mental energy in the Realm of Dreams!”

How could she talk that loud? Or that fast? My mental energy was draining just thinking about it.

I turned  around to go back to the tent, when I remembered that it wasn’t up anymore.

“Where are the Hobbits?” – I asked Legolas, who was standing beside Zena.

He opened his mouth to respond when a voice called out –

“Where you – worried about little us?”

Pippin hopped out of the shadows behind Legolas and smiled up at me.

“Little yes – worried no.” – I told him .

“Hmph.” – Pippin said, pouting.

Aragorn looked at the sky, “We must move, for the sun grows nearer to the climax of the sky.”

I rolled my eyes at him, but shouldered my pack, as the others did the same thing. We had a long journey (longer now that we had no horses) ahead of us.

After a couple hours of trekking Aragorn stopped. He tipped his head to one side and listened carefully.

“What?” – asked Gimli – as he took a tighter grasp on his ax.

Aragorn shook his head, “Nothing. I thought……never mind”.

This didn’t calm the others though, and soon we were creaking along – with our hair standing straight up – just waiting for something to jump out at us. Our footfalls barely made a sound as we crossed the valley. The day was progressing though – and my the time we came to the path that would lead us to the next valley it was almost dark. The path was made of stone, and it stretched across a very (note that I said very – as in 50 or more foot drop). It wasn’t actually a path as Aragorn had told us – it was a bridge. Just as we started to cross the dangerous path – we heard something. It was almost like a monkey – or other primate call.  Sort of like ‘Whoo-woo-ah!”

Sam grabbed Frodo’s arm, “Mr. Frodo! Your sword!” – Frodo looked down and pulled his sword ‘Sting’ out of his hip sheath. It was glowing blue – the signal for Orks!