Part Five

Nathan took the keys for his house out of his pocket, fingers numb from the cold. He opened the front door, and Alyssa stepped through the threshold, Nathan closely behind. He brought her to his room, and she sat down on his bed, eyes blank and red. Nathan sat there for a second, then glided out of the room, returning moments later with a glass of water which he placed in front of Alyssa on the nightstand. She looked over at him and gave him a half-hearted smile to thank him, then looked down at it. "Is there anything you want, or need?" Nathan asked, wanting to break the silence. She shook her head no, feeling empty inside. Alyssa then burst out in tears, and placed her hands over her eyes. Nathan quickly sat next to her, and embraced her closely in a hug and dropped her hands, the two of them alone, staying like that until her uneven and quick breaths turned to deeper, raspy ones. Alyssa squeezed her eyes shut, wishing this feeling to go away. Nathan looked down, and stroked her cheek with his thumb. "Shh, it's ok. It's ok, I'm here. I promise." He cooed in her ear as you would to an upset infant.
Alyssa looked up at him and gave him a small smile. She pulled him in closer, tighter, as if he was the anchor keeping her from floating away. A single tear rolled down her flushed cheek, although out of happiness. She was so grateful to have someone willing to do this for her. "Thank you." She whispered. With that, Alyssa realized how dry her mouth was, and reached for the glass, breaking their tight hold. She took a sip, then put it back down.
"I really am sorry." Nathan piped, not wanting the awkward guilt he felt linger between them. They had a special bond, and it ment the world to the both of them.
"I am too." Alyssa whispered as she lay down, heavy eyelids slowly opening and closing as she drifted off to sleep.