Part Ten

It was a warm Sunday night, so Alyssa wasn't shivering under her dress. Nathan and Alyssa walked side by side on the sidewalk, with no words exchanged. Nathan turned his head to look down at her, but turned away when she looked up at him. Alyssa smiled, and looked straight ahead. It was a short walk, and the school was already in view. Their hands were only an inch apart, fingers often brushing along the other, and every time it sent sparks of warmth shooting through every inch of her body. Nathan laughed quietly, and Alyssa looked back up to him. Curiously, Alyssa asked"What?"
Nathan looked at her and gave her a soft look. "You look...beautiful."
Alyssa blushed and looked at her feet. She adjusted her purse on her shoulder. "You don't mean that. People never do."
Nathan stopped walking, face slightly shocked. "Really?"
"Yeah. Guys send their dumb friends to give you a fake compliment as a dare, then run away laughing. Girls can't take compliments or anything nice about them seriously with out fearing its not true, which reduces us to this feeling of worthlessness and that any good thing about us is a joke. Sorry for the rant, but that's the world we live in."
Nathan stopped walking and sighed. Alyssa stopped as well, then turned. "I don't want it to be this world. You don't deserve that." Nathan said with a caring voice.
"It's nothing I can change, and I'm used to it." Alyssa said. She pointed her head to the school, "Come on," she said smiling. "Let's go."
Nathan looked down and smiled. He looked back up and continued to walk. They were now side by side, and as soon as their hands brushed together, Nathan laced his fingers through hers. They walked the rest of the block talking about politics, science, and their friends.
Nathan and Alyssa finally reached the gate in front of the school and went up to the ticket booth, where Ms. Calfer sat. "Hi Alyssa, hi Nathan. Five dollars please." The couple smiled and Nathan released his hand, reached in his pocket, got his wallet, and handed her the money. Alyssa waved as they walked in. "Have fun you two!" The teacher called out after them. He then reached down and their fingers interlocked. Alyssa kept little distance between them; she wanted to be close.
Nathan led her to a bench and they sat down, Alyssa's head now on his shoulder. Nathan kissed her lightly in her forehead then lay out his arm across the back of the bench, which caused Alyssa's lips to curl into a smile. "What would you like to do?" Nathan said after a moment.
Alyssa shrugged. "Arcade game?"
"Sure" Nathan shrugged. They stood up and began walking until they heard Stephanie behind them.
"Hey Alyssa, and... Nathan?" They stopped walking and Alyssa pulled her hand away slowly. She turned around and saw her friend standing there with a hurt face as Nathan turned as well.